Austin, Texas

Howdy Pals.

So, I've recently finished a batch of 1/8" / 3.5mm pro sound mods on all of my CGBs, and they all came out great. I used an identical procedure on all of them, where the jack is just under the battery case and behind the speaker to the right.

Now, the issue I've just begun to have the other day is that the speaker on my first one just quit working in the middle of some composing. It was literally working perfectly, and then I plugged my headphones in. As soon as I unplugged them, the speaker didn't turn back on.

I took it back apart to check it out, but I don't see anything electromechanically wrong with the speaker—at first I'd thought the jack was putting pressure on it and might have damaged something, but I see no evidence of that.

Because it quit working when I plugged and unplugged headphones, I suspect something might be up with the switching jack. I cleaned it out with some rubbing alcohol to no avail.

The headphone out and the pro sound jack I've added both still work fine, but I'd really like to have the speaker back. Hearing your own tunes out of the tinny little thing still amuses me. smile

Anyway, I've been probing with my multimeter to look for bad connections, but I really don't know enough about the circuit's design to even know where to begin. sad

Any ideas? Has anyone had a similar problem and successfully fixed it?

Last edited by Telerophon (Jul 18, 2012 12:37 pm)

Toronto

I have a LOT of problems with switching jacks in some of my game boys. It sounds silly, but try plugging/unplugging your headphones a few times. That usually fixes it on my Light (but that one's pretty stubborn so it comes back).

Outside of that, it's probably a connection issue, and then I'm as lost as you are right now. But, you know, sometimes it's as simple as a big piece of something getting itself into the switching jack.

Austin, Texas

That's a good idea!

Thanks for the insight, dude.

Toronto

No problem! Hope it works.

Austin, Texas
QueenOfTulips wrote:

No problem! Hope it works.

You totally called it, dude. I cleaned the jack switch contact while I had the game boy apart (it's beginning to oxidize), and plugged my headphones in and out a few times.

I had to do it 20 or 30 times, but it started working again. Weird.

I'm glad it wasn't anything I fucked up in the pro sound mod.

Toronto

I'm glad it worked out for you! smile