Denmark

Hey guys!
I'm pretty new to chiptune, but I have just finished some of my first work in LSDJ. Being completely new to LSDJ I keep learning new things and I believe this can be heard from what I've made so far.
When i've started creating a song I may feel good about it in the beginning, but as I keep adding and changing and trying to improve the track I find that I sometimes get tired of how it sounds (like finding it too repetitive, or boring) and I may even feel that I have learned so much since I started on a given track that I don't really like it anymore.
Anyways to get to the point - I would like some feedback on the stuff that I have created so far.
Here's the link: www.browk.bandcamp.com

Would love to get some feedback, thanks!

Denmark

no one wants to give me their opinion? I don't know if that means what I've made is bad or what, but I would really like to know. The truth isn't going to bring me down.thanks

Last edited by Browk (Jul 19, 2012 11:22 am)

Granada, Spain

You just waited a few hours!
They are not bad, but they dont sound really "full", find a bass, a kick, new noise drums instead of samples in wav, change the leads, if you use the same instrument as lead it will be a bit boring, so just improve, practice, do a lot of songs and improve! smile

Denmark

hehe, sorry smile I went to bed yesterday after posting this and seeing that a lot had happened on the forum since then I was wondering - being ready for the worst, as the only thing that will really benefit me is if people actually point out what is bad etc.
Thanks for the comment and thanks for the tips. On my first two songs I didn't know how to make a kick, so Boring days go by, and Lost in the Mall are made with the samples, which you noticed as well (not that is it hard) on Sunny behind the Clouds however I did try to create my own kick by editing the synth etc. which can also be heard.
But thanks, it helps and I will keep working on it smile

Last edited by Browk (Jul 19, 2012 12:15 pm)

Tulsa, OK

i dont want to be mean, but i did not enjoy these tracks

edit: I did not hear a distinct definitive artist in the music, just video game sounds

Last edited by Jake Allison (Jul 19, 2012 3:58 pm)

Denmark

Could you please tell me a bit more about why you didn't enjoy them? would be very useful to me if you told me why you don't like them, thanks smile

Edit: Ah I see you just edited you post smile Well is that the whole reason? I have not yet really discovered my chiptune music genre, so I feel you hit spot on with that comment tbh.

Last edited by Browk (Jul 19, 2012 4:01 pm)

NC in the US of America

Sounds like something that would be in an old DOS game or something, but it's not really something I'd rip from the game and add to my mp3 library. It's serviceable background music, at the very least...

Edit: Needs a stronger beat. It sounds underdeveloped, like it's a concept for something to be performed by a full ensemble of instruments.

Edit: Hey, if you play guitar or something... ^_-

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 19, 2012 7:09 pm)

Tulsa, OK

I did not think it was grotesque, It was just blah

I would step out of the box, and be more "controversial" with your sound

Russia, Moscow

I don't like it because it is slow and I don't feel neither the drive nor any certain direction there. The chip tech there is pretty basic too, although this could be an artistic choice.

.FILTHadelphia

There seems to be a new trend of creating an album on Bandcamp then asking for CC on it. You shouldn't release stuff you aren't sure about, jus' sayin.

My biggest complaint is sound design. I have this gripe with a large percentage of LSDJ users but your instruments need more depth. It sounds like you adjusted the Wave Duty Cycle and called it a day. Do some experimentation with tables, add different commands. See what works.

Song wise they aren't terrible but they suffer from lack of variation. All your songs should be a minute and a half long considering you just repeat the verse and chorus over and over. Boring Days Go By, melody wise especially in your chorus, wasn't half bad but it certainly suffers from the previously mentioned repetition.

Keep at it though. Focus on sound design, writing stronger melodies and song structure. My best advice I can give to new people is "would you listen to it?" If not then the song probably sucks.

NC in the US of America
Jake Allison wrote:

I did not think it was grotesque, It was just blah

I would step out of the box, and be more "controversial" with your sound

Question... if the general consensus is that "out of the box" music is better and most of the more prolific musicians use that approach... wouldn't that make it "in the box" and "less controversial"?

Denmark

To everyone who has been commenting, thank's a lot for the feedback smile I will keep exploring LSDJ and experimenting with my sound, keeping in mind what you guys have said, and hopefully I will be able to make something that people will be happy to listen to, just like I love listening to the the stuff on here.
I know that asking for feedback in this way might not be the best way to go at it, but I would like to become a part of chiptune, and I wasn't sure if I was taking the right steps and where to go.

Edit:
Oh and by the way, I haven't studied music or anything like that, but I would like to learn more to help me improve and to understand things better. Do any of you know of some good material to read, like maybe an ebook, and maybe have suggestions as for which topics it might be good to read about.

Last edited by Browk (Jul 19, 2012 10:47 pm)

Russia, Moscow

The problem is that music theory, advanced especially, is certainly difficult to explain, so there is no a single definitive book on this. Try a few random books and find one that is written in words that are easier to understand for you personally.

Forest Maze

I don't know why you'd love this

Denmark
NUCLACE wrote:

I don't know why you'd love this

haha, well that is on youtube, not on chipmusic.org big_smile

Boston, MA
Browk wrote:

Edit:
Oh and by the way, I haven't studied music or anything like that, but I would like to learn more to help me improve and to understand things better. Do any of you know of some good material to read, like maybe an ebook, and maybe have suggestions as for which topics it might be good to read about.

Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory. Read that, and use the ear training CD they provide. Familiarize yourself with the layout of a piano, and read up! It is a fantastic book that taught me theory when I first set out to learn it. smile