I uploaded all the tracks of my latest self-released work to bandcamp, then bothered to listen to them just recently and found that the quality of them was pretty poor, that is to say worse then they sound before uploading.

This is because the files are being converted into something crappy once uploaded?  Anyone know more about this then I do?

I took down all my songs, re exported all the tracks form my DAW and started to re-upload them to try and solve the issue, but realized it hasn't solved anything!

Is there something I can do to fix this or is this just something to deal with... ?

))<>((

Is that the streaming? They're converted to 192 (I think) MP3s for streaming, and the lossless are kept for downloading.

right.

it probably has to do with the quality of the recordings, then?

can't do anything about that right now, unfortunately.

Sweeeeeeden

Don't upload MP3's, upload WAVs or FLACs. (FLAC=Lossless compression) If you uplod an MP3 they will recode it which will destroy the quality.
And, since people are confused about this all the time... Saving an MP3 file as WAV does mot restore its quality! When the data has been compressed as MP3 once, it will always have artefacts.

I uploaded .aiff this time.

and had uploaded .flac's before.

So that's why I think it's just the original recordings (my audio recording equipment isn't the greatest), which aren't that bad but there's a noticeable difference once they're uploaded.

thanks though for the info

Last edited by Battle Lava (Feb 21, 2010 8:01 pm)