Portland

man those midiboys...

Gosford, Australia

On second thought the price was pretty reasonable, all things considered: I just haven't seen such an expensive chipmusic-related item in, like, ever.

The white one is only $90 more than the others, too. That's kinda cool!

Last edited by Victory Road (Jul 26, 2012 12:35 am)

nashville,tn

i... am... excite... for the arduino boy stylee stuffz. nice to not have to wait for those rare moments where i have money for gear and its available to align. if i can knock one variable out, awersum. cheers

I bought an Arduinoboy kit (blue LED one), gonna slam it into a kitsch case rather soon, I hope... big_smile

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

The blue LED one is my favorite. If only they had posted this a day earlier. . .

that yellow gameboy pocket is really cute

awhh

shanghai

i want to state im not knocking nex as a rip off merchant. i know this shit takes for ever and he is a fucking bonafide pro.  but 500 is alot for me, im a broke fuck......i saw soeone pay 250GBP for a fucking casio cs01 the other day. people is mental with their g's thesedays yo

herr_prof wrote:

Do the midiboys have the ftdi pin so you can update/modify the code?

sorry no its not, unfortunately due to the location of the arduino (behind the motherboard) it is very difficult to get the pins out, also for some reason the smaller 6 pin opto isolator drags down the receive pin, so the opto has to be disconnected before the arduino sees any data,

i have built arduinoboys before that have a switch and access to the FTDI pins, but its just too complex in the midi gameboys. instead i am trying to work out a way of using the actual midi ports and build a simple converter from FTDI to midi, but it would still mean there was no reset line available so the gameboy would have to be switched on just as the IDE uploads the code. not impossible just inconvenient.

as for the gameboys themselves, i am glad people realise they are a lot of work, if you took someone like a car mechanic who charges maybe $50 an hour, these things would cost millions, also shipping is free world wide, and also because they are produced in Sweden, things like buying arduinos from outside the country costs 45% import tax, which really pushes cost up. there is nothing cheap in Sweden at all, with it having nearly the highest tax in the world. prices would be cheaper if i lived in the US. but as a side note i have sold maybe 3 gameboys with full RGB lighting for $600, so some people do have the money, but i respect that the chiptune scene is not a well funded one.

Also don't forget these are fully kitted out midiboys, they come with:
backlight
bivert
switchable pitchbend
full in and out midi
flush mount pro sound
colour coded buttons, including power switch and link port
all have their battery covers
some have new screen lenses
some have lights inside or battery lights etc

also unlike normal arduinoboys, the midi gameboys can be linked to other gameboys using a normal link cable giving you as many midi gameboys as you like (with some modification to the link cable)

so these were a lot of work. i am going to try and build some budget midi gameboys which will be significantly cheaper, as well as some more basic gameboys in general, also some add ons like my GBLFO, if anyone has seen that, and other few things when i get the time.

if anyone is waiting on stuff (i know a few people have bought stuff already) i will get it posted asap, i will send emails when its been sent, just its totally crazy right now, just got back from a long holiday, also proposed to my GF so now i have a nightmare of "family" moments to deal with lol

uhajdafdfdfa

hey chipmusic stuff is a luxury item and there's no reason why the best and most high quality stuff shouldnt cost £252
a guitar is just a few bits of wood and people pay >£10000 for them. some people are rich and love instruments

i think NeX is a real cool guy, keep it up

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I agree with ant1. The other thing to keep in mind is a lot of people in this community are pretty damn close. The chances of someone you've seen around the forums ripping you off is real slim. Usually when you see a price...it's completely reasonable.

And lets be honest here. Most if not all of the work these guys do is completely beyond the skills of their buyers and you're going to have to pay for all the work that went into these seriously one of a kind items.

Unsubscribe
NeX wrote:

also unlike normal arduinoboys, the midi gameboys can be linked to other gameboys using a normal link cable giving you as many midi gameboys as you like (with some modification to the link cable)

Would it be possible to send link cable serial over something like a stereo minijack? Then you could stick the aboy in a seperate box and you can have all the relevant cables coming out the bottom of the box very ergonomically. and the midi box can be with the other midigear. The price doesnt bother me, but the updatability and ergonomics of the mod give me pause.

herr_prof wrote:
NeX wrote:

Would it be possible to send link cable serial over something like a stereo minijack? Then you could stick the aboy in a seperate box and you can have all the relevant cables coming out the bottom of the box very ergonomically. and the midi box can be with the other midigear. The price doesnt bother me, but the updatability and ergonomics of the mod give me pause.

not quite sure what you mean? do you mean an external arduinoboy that had options to daisy chain to other gameboys? because that would be possible with an adapter too, for the existing arduinoboys i do.

the reason i thought i would make an adapter cable to update the firmware on the arduino via midi is because there is no need to have extra connectors for the FTDI when the most important pins already have connectors on them, but i will have to see if it works first,

but with custom mods anything is possible, the arduinoboy could be a clip on thing, on the bottom of the gameboy, or it could be a tiny chip in the gameboy, for example i built a gameboy colour with full midi and just adapter cables instead of midi sockets.

thanks for the kind word guys, i much prefer the idea that chipmusic in general is a community with everyone respecting each other