Madison, Alabama

I'm not normally a sidechain kind of guy, but I am working on a song and thought the effect might suit it.  I added some M commands to my kick table.

Basically,

M22
M33
M55
M77

H04

It sounds pretty decent, but there is a click/pop sound noticeable in the right stereo channel.  Both on emulator (BGB) and DMG.  The pop may be present in the center channel but masked by the kick.

I've tried different variations of M commands and the pop is still present.  It's not a *huge* deal--I can probably hide it with some noise channel work, but i was curious if anyone else has run across this.  It's odd that the pop does not occur in the left channel.

(I have tried on recent LSDJ versions and 3.9.)

Any ideas?

Last edited by roboctopus (Jul 27, 2012 3:58 pm)

Detroit, Michigan

This happens with panning in tables too, I think it has something to do with the sudden change in volume. I too would like to know the reason for this

Madison, Alabama
snesei wrote:

This happens with panning in tables too, I think it has something to do with the sudden change in volume. I too would like to know the reason for this

Well, I am accustomed to panning clicks and envelope clicks, haha.  All part of the joys of DMG music production.

Mostly I'm wondering why the left stereo channel seems unaffected by the pops my M commands produce.  It's just...odd.

Chicago
roboctopus wrote:

Mostly I'm wondering why the left stereo channel seems unaffected by the pops my M commands produce.  It's just...odd.

I think the reason that your hearing popping in the right channel is due to the onboard speaker.
I'm not 100% certain on this.

Robox, I'll hook you up with my M command side chain patch that I learned from Jack smile

Robox, I'll hook you up with my M command side chain patch that I learned from Jack smile

Philadelphia

What channel are you doing your kick in, the WAV? I'm just finding out that some times if you use a couple of E commands (in the WAV that is) you can negate excess noise and clicking. I'm probably not explaining this very well, but I'll try to when I'm not typing all of this on my phone.

Madison, Alabama
SubWooferSpecial wrote:

What channel are you doing your kick in, the WAV? I'm just finding out that some times if you use a couple of E commands (in the WAV that is) you can negate excess noise and clicking. I'm probably not explaining this very well, but I'll try to when I'm not typing all of this on my phone.

It is a WAV kick.  However, I have tried placing the table in other channels with the same result--a pop in the right (and center) channel.  Left channel is unaffected.  This occurs on both emulator and hardware, and I suspect it is just something I have to work around/hide.

I am curious as to why it does this, though.

brooklyn
Frostbyte wrote:

that doesn't fix anything, it still has the click...

Madison, Alabama
Kedromelon wrote:
Frostbyte wrote:

Is the click always right/center and never left?

brooklyn
roboctopus wrote:
Kedromelon wrote:

Is the click always right/center and never left?

hm, I'm not sure actually.  Whenever I do M command sidechaining the clicking seems to be center.

Milwaukee, WI

I was messing with M sidechains today.  Definitely a right click.  Bizarre!

NC in the US of America

I did a simple Left-Panned 50% Pulse phrase with some K commands and I got a right-pop in BGB.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 28, 2012 3:44 am)

Gosford, Australia

If you want seamless ducking then you could always record your kick separately and set up the sidechain in post-production.