uhajdafdfdfa

hey guys

can you track with the lsdj keyboard. i mean enter notes into your song and they stay in your song rather than just live playing notes?

thanks a lot smile

xx

I don't think so tongue

Edit: maybe if you play a note and press A it'll place that note where the cursor thing is?

Last edited by Frostbyte (Jul 27, 2012 6:27 pm)

Austin, Texas

You totally can! big_smile

If you have the sequencer running, it's in "play mode," where it will insert a note in real time wherever you press, but when the sequencer isn't running, it is in a tracking mode, where the input edits phrases.

The keyboard has a lot of button-press combinations built into it as dedicated keys. For instance:

• Typing a note key in a phrase enters that exact note, as opposed to you having to scroll with the D pad to find it.

• PgUp & PgDn go to the next or the previous instrument or table in those editors, maybe in the synth editor too. It pages up and down when in the songscreen. Think of this as having dedicated keys for B+UP/DOWN.

• The arrow keys on the number pad are a dedicated key set for moving between parts of the interface. it will move you from the song screen to the chain screen to the phrase screen, et cetera. Think of this as a dedicated SELECT+DPAD

• The inverse T directional keys function exactly like the D-pad.

There are probably more of these that I haven't figured out yet, since I'm still getting used to the keyboard myself.

I actually think this is a better use of the LSDj keyboard than playing live, anyway.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that PgUp & PgDn also work on the Phrase screen the same way that B+UP/DOWN would, so you can enter a bunch of phrases in a chain and use that to go through them sequentially.

Last edited by Telerophon (Jul 27, 2012 10:28 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa
Telerophon wrote:

You totally can! big_smile

If you have the sequencer running, it's in "play mode," where it will insert a note in real time wherever you press, but when the sequencer isn't running, it is in a tracking mode, where the input edits phrases.

The keyboard has a lot of button-press combinations built into it as dedicated keys. For instance:

• Typing a note key in a phrase enters that exact note, as opposed to you having to scroll with the D pad to find it.

• PgUp and PgDn go to the next or the previous instrument or table in those editors, maybe in the synth editor too. It pages up and down when in the songscreen. Think of this as having dedicated keys for B+UP/DOWN.

• The arrow keys on the number pad are a dedicated key set for moving between parts of the interface. it will move you from the song screen to the chain screen to the phrase screen, et cetera. Think of this as a dedicated SELECT+DPAD

• The inverse T directional keys function exactly like the D-pad.

There are probably more of these that I haven't figured out yet, since I'm still getting used to the keyboard myself.

I actually think this is a better use of the LSDj keyboard than playing live, anyway.

wow thank

that is a totally awesome feature, im so glad that lsdj can do that. it would make it easy for me and others to write lsdj music when we come from a pc tracking background (i guess)

greeeeeeat!!! thanks!

Easton, PA, USA

I really did not know that, now I have to put the num pad keys back!

Austin, Texas

Yeah, I agree, it's a pretty cool tool.

Keep in mind that the keyboard interface still has issues and can be buggy. See one of my threads about making keyboards and adapters for some of the common difficulties people run into with them.

In short, I've yet to find a keyboard that works 100% perfectly, I'm not finding PS/2 keyboards at thrift stores in my area anymore, and there's no consistent information about which current production keyboards work well and which don't, since people generally prefer to use the most cheaply available thrifted keyboard when making their own.

Austin, Texas
zerolanding wrote:

I really did not know that, now I have to put the num pad keys back!

I leave all my keys in and paint the functionless ones the base color for a reason. wink

KC

telerophon, how exactly do you go about painting your boards?

leave the keys on and spray it like that, or like I did with my first one:

take all the keys off and paint them the colors you want.
doing that way got good results but is painful and taking forever, because of paint getting where I don't want it and then having to scrape it off in certain places to make the keys function well

Austin, Texas

I pull all the keys out and paint the individual pieces on a per-color basis, over newspaper drop cloth.

You are right, this is a time-consuming pain in the ass. The next one I do will take even more time, because I am going to put painter's tape over each interface for a keycap stem on the top cover, and painter's tape over the keycap stems to stick them down on the newspaper.

This will prevent you from having to scrape anything off later, but it is also really tedious to do it that way.

I also tend to file the printing off of my keys, but that's  a mixed bag. I need to see how my newest keyboard will handle being painted straight over, because the decals are laminated on labels instead of printed on… cheap keyboards, am I right folks? tongue

I do it this way because I'm anal about the quality of a finished product.

Pro-Tip: You can get a specific keycap puller tool if you look around on NewEgg or wherever.

I personally use a loop of dental floss to pull out keys.

Last edited by Telerophon (Jul 27, 2012 9:29 pm)

Turku, FIN

Would awesome if lsdj could record the notes that are played live. Totally killer feature for me at least.