Geneseo, IL

Alright guys, I have a... RT2258TW keyboard, and I am not sure why but whenever I plug it in to my gameboy (phrase and chain of 00 set to keyboard sync at 255 bmp) the keyboard only controls the gameboy like, 1/10 times. But when it does work, it works perfectly. Now, I searched the forums and I couldn't find any problems like this, so I hope I didn't overlook one.
DMG------keyboard
Brown----red
Yellow---white
Green---brown
Blue-----black

KC

Everyone seems to keep having problems with their keyboards.

I have one that I am not completely done painting yet so I don't have every key back in place but so far everything seems to be working great.

Gateway KB-2961

plus, I opened it up and the pcb had the wires marked with which one was what which made my job of soldering the wires MUCH MUCH easier.

KC

I suggest opening the keyboard before you even begin to see if the pcb has its wires marked, trust me, its worth it!

Austin, Texas

Newer keyboards virtually always have printing on the PCB to indicate where to solder which connections.

Anyway, you really can't reliably go on the color codes, but if you are using a cable with a brown wire, I'm assuming you used a DMG-07 cable. But, if you have it working some of the time, you probably got the wiring right.

It sounds like you might have an intermittent connection. I'd check your solder job. If you have the full length of the DMG-07 cable still available and are comfortable opening the keyboard and replacing its cable entirely, as well as soldering on the board, that's probably a better way to do it long-term. Splicing cables together can be kind of dicey, as the cable is subject to a lot of repetitive stress at the joints, and you might have broken a weak solder.

I personally build male DMG-04 to female PS/2 adapter cables, as opposed to replacing the keyboard cable or splicing cables together:

Last edited by Telerophon (Jul 27, 2012 9:22 pm)

Geneseo, IL

I am resolderng most of the connections with little progress. Can someone tell me what the sequences of the LEDs mean?

Last edited by Sapr (Jul 29, 2012 10:55 pm)

Austin, Texas

"Sequences?"

All three should flash when the keyboard receives power and turns on. I've never seen mine active while actually using the keyboard.

Assuming your keyboard is receiving power from the game boy, all three should flash once when you turn on the game boy with the keyboard connected.

Geneseo, IL

Alright, maybe I am onto something here.
Mine flashes all three one time when it is going to work.
When other times it more flickers and after the nintendo logo disappears it stops, but I will press enter and the 2 LEDs on the left light up and stay on.
Or it will just keep both but the middle on. Maybe I need to rewire? I am hesitant to simply because it would work sometimes before.

Cleveland, OH

I mean to disrespect to Thretris but you cannot follow colors of wires(I know a lot of people are using this tutorial). You need to use a multimeter of some sort and follow the wires. They're usually marked on the PCB of the keyboard.

Austin, Texas

What you are describing sounds like an intermittent connection, but I've never seen a keyboard do that… I wonder if your keyboard is damaged somehow?

Anyway, I'm not an electronics expert, so this could be over my head; all I would know to do would be to keep checking the connections. There are only four, and two work if your keyboard is getting power…

Geneseo, IL

I'll try switching up some connections  and see if anything gets better.

Geneseo, IL

That didn't work either. I think I am going to just get a new keyboard. Cause it sounds like this one is faulty.

Austin, Texas

It's possible, LSDj just didn't like the first keyboard I made…