Minot, Maine

Someone just linked me to this. It was the first analog synthesizer... created in 1939... made by hammond. There are some sound samples on this page:

http://www.hollowsun.com/shop/novachord/index.htm

My goodness! Amazing sounds. Imagine hearing this in 1939 (Not that (most of) you were alive then)!  Check out the samples.

Just thought I'd share this little gem of goodness.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

It's just as cool now as it was when they first came out with it in 1939 and I was so impressed by its sound. Brings back memories it does.

Last edited by Reteris (Feb 23, 2010 3:45 am)

Tacoma WA

here is a great read by someone who bought one and restored it

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt … mp;start=0

))<>((

holy shit, that sounds so nice.

Also, full polyphony!? O_O Wow, that is sweet.

Hammond > all.  Hammond organs are the grand daddy of all synthesizers!  Additive electro-mechanical synthesizers.

Minneapolis

Yup, looks like typical electronics from the day- really simple basic circuits piled on top of each other to create something awesome. (and huge) I have done some restoration work on old organs, and it can be quite hairy, as there are just TONS of parts inside of these analogue synths.

Italy

This is where it all began! I'm always amazed at how wonderful those old machines sound!

Nashville, Tennessee

gorgeous sounds.

London, UK

Oh my god, I've just had a listen and it's GORGEOUS. You could make a whole career's worth of beautiful synth albums just with this one instrument. I've never been so tempted to spring for a $160 (!!) sample set before...

UK
infradead wrote:

here is a great read by someone who bought one and restored it

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt … mp;start=0

That "Someone" is me......   the restoration thread and the Hollow Sun Novachord - are one of the same.......

.....Novachord #346 resides in my living room!! smile

))<>((

lucky you!

That is an amazing piece of equipment.

UK
tacticalbread wrote:

lucky you!

That is an amazing piece of equipment.

Thanks... it was a pretty darn major job returning this amazing 70 year old, 1/4 ton 163 tube beast proto-synth to working order and she really does take pride of place now.  There really is nothing like it.  Novachord 346 is believed to be the only example in the UK and is one of less than 40 operational units world wide.

You can see/hear more at: www.novachord.co.uk

The Hollow Sun Novachord sample set is rapidly gaining a professional following.  One of the biggest game releases for the Xbox 360 this year, due to be released around Q2, features many of Novachord 346's darker/more tense sonic textures.  The HS Novachord library is the only one of its kind.

Last edited by Hideaway Studio (Mar 24, 2010 11:50 pm)

))<>((

wow, that's impressive. big_smile

and I'm guessing you can't share the name of the game? tongue

UK
tacticalbread wrote:

Alan W...

Last edited by Hideaway Studio (Mar 25, 2010 12:14 am)

Minneapolis

I don't see how any self-respecting artist with $160 sitting around (which is very few in these days!) couldn't pick this up. It's so hauntingly stunning, especially in it's lower registers and with the slight amount of detune that was present in your earlier recordings.

))<>((
Hideaway Studio wrote:
tacticalbread wrote:

Alan W...

ahh very nice. That seems fitting. wink