Matthew Joseph Payne

Fuck yeah! Looks awesome! Excited to see this oot and aboot. Any chance of selling PCBs or kits?

Unsubscribe

io board eh? big_smile If you need a beta tester, as in a dude who cant really solder but would love to test one out im on board big_smile

Texas

If there was a lot of interest in kits or a pre-made thing I might consider that. I will just make the boards available in EagleCAD format which can be used to have your own boards fabbed at a place like OSH Park (formally DorkBot) pretty inexpensively. They do medium runs too so if there was enough interest a bulk order of sorts could be organized.

Biggest benefit of a kit might be having a pre-programmed AVR micro-controller. I grabbed up this thing to make that easy to program AVRs with the Arduino bootloader. Works like a champ, although I don't think the male/female headers are the best idea - I'd recommend standard male headers (I don't see any need to make the thing stackable).

Regarding the IO Board - I opted to go that route to save space and keep things within the 1U height limit. Doing it this way, 3 will fit in the space of a half rack by my measurements.

I WANT THIS!

Texas
im-pulze wrote:

I WANT THIS!

Haha I have had a few folks mention that. Glad other folks might be able to get some use out of it! I have had a few inquiries about how to get one of these so here is sort of a summary of what I have come up with:

• If you want something now and don't need a rack-format, you can build my predecessor to this called the ShieldBoy. The Eagle layouts are available on the linked page, as well as a bill of materials and some basic information on how to get it up and running.

• If you want to buy a ShieldBoy instead, PM me. If enough folks are interested I may look at offering to build these for people.

• If you want to build an ArduinoBoy Advance (the rackmount thing), here are the Eagle files for both the top and bottom boards. I don't have a build doc up yet but if you have questions, just reply to this post. Be aware MIDI OUT is untested at this point (but I see now reason why it wouldn't work).

• If you want to buy an ArduinoBoy Advance, that stage has not been reached. Still have some things to do before I would be comfortable selling it (at cost or otherwise) in its current state.

For the ABA buyers, I need to know more to see if a kit might be doable while accomplishing everyone's goals so let me know what you want it over, say, the ShieldBoy and what you were going to house it in. I could see a case for the ABA instead of a rack solution by adding some panel mount sockets and drilling out an enclosure, for instance.