The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Umf. That black arduinoboy. . . I want mine to get here sooo bad. . .

Turku, FIN

Omg i usually don't care so much about custom dmgs, but those purple dmgs are so nice, droooool.

Here is my customization

Austin, Texas

Those are custom wood housings for a Behringer mixer and… that synth. My friend has one, but I forgot what it is called.

Turku, FIN

Shruthi-1

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

That Shruthi case is nice. And classy!

Austin, Texas

Yeah, that's it.

Man, those are really sweet wood housings.

Austin, Texas

I just finished doing the prepaint routing for the custom I/O stuff going into this kitsch DMG case…

Now it's time to paint it!

matt's mind

did the ps/2 jack mount ok the way you have it?  that way i don't think you need to dremel down the case

in stalling it with the nut on the outside you've got to dremel a little bit.

have you tested it yet?  it work ok?

hey I'm working with a reprap 3d printer and I will soon have the opportunity to print models in plastic. I was thinking of making some custom gameboy shells. I was wondering if anyone has tried anything like this? Pros? Cons? Any suggestions to how the gameboy shell could be designed better for performance?

Austin, Texas
kitsch wrote:

did the ps/2 jack mount ok the way you have it?  that way i don't think you need to dremel down the case

in stalling it with the nut on the outside you've got to dremel a little bit.

It mounted fine, but it took some clever thinking. The thread on the outside is too short to extend through the case at its normal thickness.

The issues with installing it the way I have chosen to do it is that you have to solder the board to the backside of the jack with it mounted in place. I haven't done that yet, but I'm sure it'll take some cleverness on my part. On the upside, I really only have to solder four points…

I'm going to do that all tonight, so I'll update you when I get it working.

That case is also in the middle of getting a cool Van Halen paint job. big_smile

Austin, Texas
kitsch wrote:

IT WORKS!

Soldering it with the nut on the backside wasn't nearly as hard as it seemed it would be.

Despite inexperience and and my earnest efforts at failure, this project was a success. The Easy_PS2 is simply too easy. wink

That said, the only major problem I've had with completing this DMG has been putting the front board back in place and closing the case with the backlight I've installed (Nonfinite V3). I feel stupid, for all the things I didn't screw up in this mod, I just can't close the case now. tongue

I don't feel like that deserves a thread. Any tips, guys?

Austin, Texas

I ended up getting it all together. Turns out I tried to panel mount a switch somewhere stupid, and I'll have to redo some of the case routing, or find smaller slide switches. hmm

Anyway, here's the finished product!

Everything works, although I keep tweaking the screw tensions to try to take pressure off the screen… I'm not sure if it's that specific backlight or what, but I can't get it in there without a significant amount of pressure being on the screen.

Final Specs:

• kitsch case with custom paint and custom buttons.

• Panel Mount 1/8" Pro-Sound, wired pre-pot.

• Nonfinite V3 Ultra white backlight, switched

• Diffused white Power LED

• Internal PS/2 port, prototype kitsch hardware.

• A heart full of love.

• RadioShack speaker replacement, OEM hardware failed.

• Actually is the game boy I have had since childhood. big_smile

Matthew Joseph Payne

Very nice!

Telerophon wrote:

Everything works, although I keep tweaking the screw tensions to try to take pressure off the screen… I'm not sure if it's that specific backlight or what, but I can't get it in there without a significant amount of pressure being on the screen.

Yeah, I think it must be the nonfinite backlight. I have noticed they are a just slightly thicker than optimal. I think kitsch and apeshit's backlights are thinner

Austin, Texas

Ah, good to know… I'm probably going to have to redo some parts of it to get it to my liking, and I have to redo the switch routing and find a way to fill those other switch routings I cut out that aren't going to work. Maybe I'll swap the backlight out too…

As another point of note, I'd swear that the RadioShack speaker is louder than the stock DMG speaker. I think the thing sounds better now, and I didn't do anything that should have affected that.

It's probably the paint job. wink

Austria

kitsch-bent clear case in retro look