Austin, Texas

That is fucking weird. sad

I wonder if it's a hardware thing with your DMG, then.

I'm sorry you haven't had any success. What version of LSDj are you using? I tested it in 4.6.7…

Chicago

I tested it with 4.6.7 and 4.0.5

It really shouldn't be a hardware issue; "I believe I've been using 4.3.x. Are you also certain that your keyboard will work? They don't all work. I throughly tested with a couple of my own keyboards so I know it should work!" - email from Justin Thursday

For some reason he never told me what exact keyboard he used/uses in the testing process.

Telerophon, I'm begging you for like 5 minutes of your time, could you please email me at [email protected] with a 'keyboardtest.sav' or something of that nature. Perhaps there is a setting or something of that nature I've overlooked. I really want to attack this as scientifically as possible.

KC

I built one with a Gateway KB-2961 and so far it seems to be working right. not done painting all the keys but so far so good.

key is to open up the keyboard and hope the pcb has the print as to which one is which.

Austin, Texas

Our friend GoingHam has a PS/2 port built into his DMG, so he's using an unmodified keyboard—one which I've verified works on all of my DMGs.

GoingHam wrote:

Telerophon, I'm begging you for like 5 minutes of your time, could you please email me at [email protected] with a 'keyboardtest.sav' or something of that nature. Perhaps there is a setting or something of that nature I've overlooked. I really want to attack this as scientifically as possible.

Sure thing, dude—Check you inbox! I hope you can get it figured out.

Good luck! smile

Chicago

So, I decided to contact Justin again, this time as to the wiring method he chose to use.

VS this

Both diagrams work, although the first of the two is just more convenient to solder.
The wiring looked perfectly normal. He then suggested I break out a multi meter.
None of the wires responded the way they should have to a multi meter.
This was the turning point in the whole keyboard escapade.
Shortly after I disassembled the PS/2 socket (removing all that hot glue was a bitch). I discovered that thin data wire had been separated from the socket. Replaced wires with something a little more sturdy. I then just reassembled and remounted the port.
Suddenly plug in keyboard...
hit a button...
whats this?
a note of E6.
smile smile smile smile smile
Fuck yeah, months and months of trial and error leading up too this one note.

I can now attest the 'OG KBJ-006B' really is an excellent candidate for use as a dedicated LSDJ keyboard sync device.
Nada worries my good man, I would feel comfortable selling this exact keyboard. It's anything but a bunk/not fully tested/unverified keyboard at this point in time. This keyboard is about as good as it gets for functionality and overall awesomeness. I'd recommend this device to any member of the chip community having trouble at their local thrift store. The 'OG KBJ-006B' is worth every penny IMHO, especially if it came with a wicked paint job wink

Telerophon, the LSDJ PS/2 keyboard sync woes are over!!! I can not thank you enough for your involvement in this project. I simply couldn't have done it alone.

Austin, Texas

I finally got around to finishing the paint job on the newer keyboard.

Here's the bad boy:

I experimented with some new ways to paint the body and the keycaps in this one, to mixed effect. I ended up getting a gross and uneven thick coat of paint on the red ones, but the others all came out great. I've learned from that.

Chicago

That paint job looks Rad! Excellent work, like the matching color scheme with the dmg.
Like the PS2 socket placement as well kudos.

Austin, Texas

Hey All,

In observance of the "One Trading Post Thread Only" rule, I'd like to request that a moderator close this thread, and perhaps also move it to a more appropriate subforum (Nintendo Handhelds?), as nothing ever really got sold in this thread and it ended up being more of a troubleshooting and investigative research thread.

I will post a new thread in the near future that will include my general "For Sale" items, as well as customized LSDj keyboards.

Thanks again for your interest, everyone! Good thread, you guys.