Because why not.

I just got Renoise, moving up from Milkytracker, and so far I absolutely love it.  I dabbled around in the likes of FL Studio for a little while but the setup is stupid - piano rolls and step sequencing, bleh.  A DAW with a tracker interface and some really, really nice workflow ideas is a much better, much more usable option in my opinion. 

Anyways, assuming you use Renoise, why not share your favorite techniques for making chip-style music?  Your favorite tools/scripts?  Or even just pop in to say you love such and such artist for using the program as well.

Italy

I discovered ReNoise just a month ago and it looks pretty cool and easier to use than other DAWs, so I guess when I'll have a decent pc I will definitely try it! It seems you can easily draw your waves as I've seen in she's tutorial!

I love the tracker-style interface!

Buenos Aires, Argentina

I used to have a chiptune template for Renoise. It sounds cool but I decided to move myself to a pure chiptune environment.

Here is a video of my chiptune template:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Sz4S-icJ0

Brunswick, GA USA

I thought we already had a Renoise thread. It's my main instrument now.

I tried to think of more to say but I do almost everything on it... Maybe layer I'll post links of famous users or something.

Last edited by chunter (Aug 24, 2012 6:15 pm)

Joliette, QC, Canada

I'm using Renoise from time to time, really great tracker !!! It's the only actual music production software that I paid for the license.
I use it with a Launchpad running duplex and a UC33e for live tweaking !!!

california

Renoise is glorious.
I use it for everything. I wish it had an on-board sound generator though, for now I typically import samples I've created in sunvox or lsdj. At least it's made me more creative at sampling different things, like pen-clicks and typewriter taps and whatnot.

.FILTHadelphia

I've had it for a few months now and within the past couple days I've been really getting into it. Trying to clear my mind a bit while I work on my upcoming album Renoise is definitely helping.

Brunswick, GA USA
myriad violets wrote:

Renoise is glorious.
I use it for everything. I wish it had an on-board sound generator

Anyone want a tutorial on how I made the Ordinary Day sounds? It's all draw tool....  There are a few tools such as ReSynth that allow you to synthesize waveforms.

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php?/top … ntry270068

And I expect most of us to be familiar with the vsts, if your arch sports them.

uhajdafdfdfa

i have used many other trackers but i could NOT get myself into this one, really! the interface sucks, somehow

which is a shame because nothing else has that "DAW feel". but oh well

love it, definitely going to incorporate it into future music projects for sure

São Paulo, Brazil
ant1 wrote:

i have used many other trackers but i could NOT get myself into this one, really! the interface sucks, somehow

I love the renoise interface. For me it's like a "fasttracker II on anphetamines".

Brunswick, GA USA
PULSELOOPER wrote:

I love the renoise interface. For me it's like a "fasttracker II on anphetamines".

I struggled with FT2 but got the hang of Renoise with practice. The main thing I can say is that compared to a tracker it is not so forgiving of mixing faux pas, that remains the biggest learning curve for me.

Last edited by chunter (Aug 25, 2012 7:57 pm)

ant1 wrote:

Have you used noisetrekker or protrekker? i hear they were what renoise was built off of. Noisetrekker looks kinda cool with the native 303s

Last edited by an0va (Aug 25, 2012 9:16 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa

an0va, they were actually my first trackers that i ever used !

totally different to renoise though! (by this i mean,  renoise has changed A LOT - it is unrecognisable)

Last edited by ant1 (Aug 25, 2012 9:58 pm)

ant1 wrote:

an0va, they were actually my first trackers that i ever used

totally different to renoise though! (by this i mean,  renoise has changed A LOT - it is unrecognisable)

oh wow, very nice! I'ma try NoiseTrekker out

uhajdafdfdfa

i think protrekkr is the updated version with more features now / still being updated

a bit buggy for me or i would use it more often, but cool with the synths and built in effects