Recently switched to Linux from Windows, and as you might've seen from the Renoise thread I'm now working with Renoise.  It works beautifully, JACK is an amazing environment to work in, and I wouldn't have it any other way save for a single thing: VST support on Linux is not all that great.

Actually there are tons of great VST's for linux, not to mention the native DSSI and LADSPA plugins, there's no shortage of powerful synths or effects, it's just that there don't seem to be any aimed towards chipmusic.  The site Woolyss has this awesome, extensive list of VST plugins but not one of them is also available on Linux, which is a shame.  I could just as easily create my own sounds or sample out of Goattracker, but that's a much less intuitive solution. 

Do you guys know of any chip-style VST's that are also native to linux (SID/NES emulation, stuff like Magical8BitPlug, etc)? 

(A note about FST and DSSI-wrappers like dssi-vst, I've been wrestling with them for weeks and they really, really just DO NOT want to work, so there's no need to suggest those, I've already tried smile)

just use simple wave forms like square/saw/triangle.

no need for "8 bit" VSTs dude.

uhajdafdfdfa

can you hand draw a waveform in renoise? or load a sample and chop it so it's only 64 bytes long? people have been making chip music in trackers without vsts since more than twenty years now, and most of it sounds A LOT better than today's VST craps.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

DELETE ME

Last edited by Delek (Aug 28, 2012 11:05 am)

Buenos Aires, Argentina

DELETE ME

Last edited by Delek (Aug 28, 2012 11:06 am)

Buenos Aires, Argentina

DefleMask for Linux!, btw a new version with NES,MIDI and SDL based video is coming soon.

ant1 wrote:

can you hand draw a waveform in renoise? or load a sample and chop it so it's only 64 bytes long? people have been making chip music in trackers without vsts since more than twenty years now, and most of it sounds A LOT better than today's VST craps.

Yep, sure can. Though I will say, Chipsounds is a beast.

Last edited by an0va (Aug 28, 2012 11:06 am)

uhajdafdfdfa

yeah, i think chipsounds is the exception for chip vsts because it sounds good and it does more than you can do easily with samples. others are just making a badly aliased square or triangle and don't sound great.

Brunswick, GA USA

I have a song I made with a Linux Juno-clone vst where I deliberately only used unfiltered pulse waves and white noise.

Last edited by chunter (Aug 28, 2012 4:37 pm)

TAL Noisemaker has a native Linux VST in both 32 and 64 bits. Works great in Renoise.