Philadelphia, PA

An album about our youth and influences. Piano, NES, beats, etc. Somewhere between psychedelic rock and ambient jazz.
$5 download on Bandcamp or stream the entire album from YouTube below.

Last edited by thesimplicity (Aug 28, 2012 8:48 pm)

Awesome. This kind of stuff is right up my alley.

ohgodno, Indiana

Great work

uhajdafdfdfa

well i didn't hear a single chip element or any kind of tracker/digital/lowres aesthetics on there at all

but cool i guess??

Philadelphia, PA
ant1 wrote:

well i didn't hear a single chip element or any kind of tracker/digital/lowres aesthetics on there at all

but cool i guess??

Honestly, I'm kind of struggling with this. When we play live, it's just NES/piano/bass. It's awesome and intense. But when we start recording the songs everything sort of mutates. I start running things through delay pedals, distortion pedals, using all sorts of weird mic placements... things go off in a different direction. It doesn't resemble a traditional chip release at all. Which is fine, but I hit a wall where I think "Should I even try to label this as chip music?" And I honestly have no idea.

Pretty much every sound on this album (other than the piano and percussion) was produced by either a MIDInes or a custom SID box I built. But it doesn't sound like the sort of traditional LSDJ stuff people may be used to.  I don't know if that's good or bad.

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK
thesimplicity wrote:

But it doesn't sound like the sort of traditional LSDJ stuff people may be used to.  I don't know if that's good or bad.

It's a brilliant thing. Do not stop please.

thesimplicity wrote:

Pretty much every sound on this album (other than the piano and percussion) was produced by either a MIDInes or a custom SID box I built. But it doesn't sound like the sort of traditional LSDJ stuff people may be used to.  I don't know if that's good or bad.

When it comes to music, the ear is the arbiter of all things.  I think Ant1 saying that he didn't hear anything that made it chipmusic is as definitive a statement as you're going to get; if it doesn't sound like a particular genre, then how can it be that genre?  The rules that define each genre (and whether or not there should even be rules) is largely a matter of semantics, but in this case even if you begin with basic chiptune hardware, the sound you end up with will be what defines the music. 

Nothing wrong with posting here, you've made some great stuff and I think that just using the hardware at least qualifies you to post your music on the site, but that's just my 2 cents.

Fucking love B&W. One of the best acts I've seen at 8static. Cant wait to check this out when I get home.

Last edited by an0va (Aug 29, 2012 12:51 am)

MegaMantra wrote:

in this case even if you begin with basic chiptune hardware, the sound you end up with will be what defines the music.

edit: also you guys is crazee-I hear chip as early as 1:38 in the first song, and that's even just a mini-climax of already built up chip percussion by that point. sure it's not as prominent as in other songs, but it's def there-i kinda like the subtlety of it in here. it certainly isn't a straight "chip" release as ant1 suggests, but that's also probably why I'm also so intrigued by it too.

Last edited by an0va (Aug 29, 2012 1:17 am)