I do this alot actually. I learned this trick from alva noto performances. he's been doing it for years now.

the best results I've gotten are not to send the video signal through the kp but send your audio through and add it to the video signal. there's a sweet spot so you have to gradually raise the volume of the audio source until you find it.

I've also heard good things about using s-video in (using some type of adapter) but I'll have to do some more experimenting myself.

still haven't tried mixing video signals with an audio mixer but there has to be something cool there.

also, get some IR leds and you can record and playback the samples of your remote controls  (only works at 24/96 due to the IR freqs) to glitch the TV on and off  I used this to build a max patch to generatively animate a bunch of those radio controlled hex bots for a project in sound school so I know that It works.

also get an rca to vga adaptor and send these to an lcd projector for live shows.

Last edited by 9H05T (Aug 29, 2012 9:41 pm)

Italy
9H05T wrote:

I do this alot actually. I learned this trick from alva noto performances. he's been doing it for years now.

the best results I've gotten are not to send the video signal through the kp but send your audio through and add it to the video signal. there's a sweet spot so you have to gradually raise the volume of the audio source until you find it.

I've also heard good things about using s-video in (using some type of adapter) but I'll have to do some more experimenting myself.

still haven't tried mixing video signals with an audio mixer but there has to be something cool there.

also, get some IR leds and you can record and playback the samples of your remote controls  (only works at 24/96 due to the IR freqs) to glitch the TV on and off  I used this to build a max patch to generatively animate a bunch of those radio controlled hex bots for a project in sound school so I know that It works.

also get an rca to vga adaptor and send these to an lcd projector for live shows.

You mean using something like this you should be able to mix together the original video and the kaoss'd audio signal into the video?

For sure it would be better to use a mixer, like the behringer xenyx 302 which has rca inputs and 2 eq band so you can experiment a little.
Also, what if you process the signal AFTER it's mixed, and then send it to the screen? I would experiment a lot if I had the gear

Merutochan wrote:

You mean using something like this you should be able to mix together the original video and the kaoss'd audio signal into the video?

For sure it would be better to use a mixer, like the behringer xenyx 302 which has rca inputs and 2 eq band so you can experiment a little.
Also, what if you process the signal AFTER it's mixed, and then send it to the screen? I would experiment a lot if I had the gear

yeah, you could get away with just the adapter if you get a hot enough signal out of whatever audio device you're mixing in. I use an old numark dj mixer (as it was cheap used and clean sounding after I cleaned the mixer contacts with a rubber eraser) it has a 3band and 3 main inputs (four if you use the mic in).

when my girlfriend goes out of town again I'll do some more experiments (since she watches the television while I experiment with stuff I can't test things when she's in town) I need to buy a cheap crt screen to do this or just shell out for an rca to vga so I could record it straight to my laptop.

Austin, TX
9H05T wrote:

Merutochan wrote:

That's exactly how mine was hooked up haha. I had my MS2000 and Kaossilator running through a Behringer Xenyx mixer. The phono tape output was hooked up to the phono line in on the KP2, and the phono line out on that going to the television. I found that panning the instruments towards whichever side is going to the video intensifies the effect, and the volume did play a big role, I had to constantly adjust it when changing sound patches. Certain tones don't seem to affect the screen, and to get it off the full black screen I had to play around, or find that "sweet spot" as 9H05T described, to get the initial flash/glitch and then it would usually keep going for a while depending on the consistency and intensity of the video/sound input.