Hey guys, Im lookin to buy one of those eprom carts on kitsch-bent. i want to get nanovoice so i downloaded the public domain rom (is that the free version?) and i cant seem to make any music with it. it just loops the programed sounds. I hit select and the screen goes blank. I also tried out Musictech and it was horribly laggy. have you guys gotten any of these carts? are they good? Just wanna know before i buy.

Austin, Texas

The carts are great, but I think it's worth getting to know the program you're going to commit to having in a dedicated cart before you buy one. Have you played with MuddyGB? That program's fun and pretty self-explanatory; I have a couple of EPROM carts (DMG Test ROM and PushPin) and still find myself wanting a dedicated MuddyGB cart from time to timeā€¦ it could be fun to just have one around if a friend or audience member wants to jam, for example.

For the record, I have no idea how to use nanovoice or MusicBox either. I don't think I've found the documentation for nanovoice, but the one for MusicBox is around if you look.

Anyway, play around with all of the programs you can find; when you find one you like, but don't want to keep on your flash carts, that could be the one for you. smile

Last edited by Telerophon (Sep 1, 2012 1:26 am)

Abandoned on Fire

I've got got Deathray on one of those and its great!

new jersey

Nanovoice Readme

Austin, Texas

Deathray and most of the PIXELH8 programs are actually special cases, because the original version of those didn't work on flash carts--the only way to use them was on a PROM cart.

Just recently, nitro2k01 patched them to work on flash carts for a task other than corrupting your cart.

EDIT: Oh snap, you're the bomb jrasor!

Last edited by Telerophon (Sep 1, 2012 1:30 am)

jrasor wrote:

Nanovoice Readme

Is this the version on the eprom? if so im so buying it!

Abandoned on Fire
Telerophon wrote:

Deathray and most of the PIXELH8 programs are actually special cases, because the original version of those didn't work on flash carts--the only way to use them was on a PROM cart.

Just recently, nitro2k01 patched them to work on flash carts for a task other than corrupting your cart.

True if not necessarily relevant to the topic.

matt's mind

the eprom carts have no memory built in, afaik the only carts that will actually save with nanovoice are the official ones oliver put out.  tbh, i don't know if the free ROM (the public one you mention, which is on the prom carts) has the saving part of the code in it, was commented out, its a hardware thing, or what.  there is some nanovoice c source out there, but its an earlier version of the ROM altogether.  i'm guessing it was just commented out, or the ram was accessed in a non-traditional way in the code but doesn't work unless your cart is laid out in a certain way.  if that makes sense.

long story short, the carts are great if you want a (much cheaper) cart devoted to non-memory ROMs, like deathray, muddyGB, musictech, drumtech, etcetcetc...

kitsch wrote:

the eprom carts have no memory built in, afaik the only carts that will actually save with nanovoice are the official ones oliver put out.  tbh, i don't know if the free ROM (the public one you mention, which is on the prom carts) has the saving part of the code in it, was commented out, its a hardware thing, or what.  there is some nanovoice c source out there, but its an earlier version of the ROM altogether.  i'm guessing it was just commented out, or the ram was accessed in a non-traditional way in the code but doesn't work unless your cart is laid out in a certain way.  if that makes sense.

long story short, the carts are great if you want a (much cheaper) cart devoted to non-memory ROMs, like deathray, muddyGB, musictech, drumtech, etcetcetc...

Now let me get something straight, i downloaded 2 roms of nanovoice, 1 worked (it was 32 kb) and 1 didnt (it was in a 7 kb zip folder). which one is on the cart? also I assumed that it wouldn't save and im fine with that, i have lsdj for that.

EDIT: lol, just tried the "non working" one and i figured out how to use it so both work and i feel dumb

Last edited by Spaceman (Sep 1, 2012 2:25 am)