Italy

Hello!
I'm always searching for new sounds and patches to make better songs with better quality.
Even if I mostly try to find them myself I really can't understand how to make some particular sounds. In "We like BRK", Shirobon uses a crunchy sound I heard in some other songs too (you can hear it at 0.15). It sounds really glitchy and raw so I'm not sure it's a pulse sound, but hearing the wav bass in the background, I guess it is... But how am I supposed to make a sound like that? I really don't have a clue!!

If you guys have tips on how to make a sound similar to that, would you please share them? I get really bored of my standard square pulse sometimes.
Thanks!!

uhajdafdfdfa

could be pitched noize? i know some people like to do that for basses

edit: maybe i am talking about a different sound to you, hrm

Last edited by ant1 (Sep 3, 2012 2:37 pm)

Ontario, Canada

You would get a sound like that by making a pulse instrument with a relatively high vibrato setting, maybe around VF5 or so, probably in a table for convenience. It's also a good way to make distorted bass sounds in a pulse channel.

Ontario, Canada

It's also important that the vib. type is set to HF to get high speed vibrato, but that's the default so it should be simple enough.

Savannah, Georgia

edit: fuckin' A, ninja'd by JAK

Last edited by Aeros (Sep 3, 2012 2:43 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

yeah, I concur with J Arthur, I would experiment with all 3 pulse widths to fine one you like. It is also using P command to pitch bent the vibratoed sound. One more quick thing, the Vibrato mode is the high frequency mode, not the standard square / Triangle. I cant remember what it is called off the top of my head. HF? squiggly line HF?

Unsubscribe

you might want to try old versions of lsdj before johan changed the hf vibrato.. it used to get MUCH crazier but thats the tradeoff for being more musical on the other end.

Manchester, England

Basically, as I'm working off the Shirobon example, all you need is a straight, no release pulse kick AND after bass note. Then just use your wav channel to create a harsh, very very growly and deep bassline (in time with the pulse kicks). Use something like:

Wave: Anything, depends what wave you actually want
Filter: Lowpass or Allpass
Q: C
Dist: Wrap
Phase: Resync

START
Volume: 10
Cutoff: FF
Phase: 00
Vshift: 00
END
Volume: D0
Cutoff: FF
Phase: 00
Vshift: 00

You can obviously just edit the Vshifts and Phases depending on how loud and booming you want that wav bass to be in comparison to the bounce of your PU1/PU2 pulse and kicks.

Either just what I wrote, or just read http://www.nullsleep.com/treasure/lsdj_tutorial/ unless for some unknown reason you haven't already

Last edited by Skin Walker (Sep 3, 2012 2:47 pm)

Ontario, Canada
herr_prof wrote:

you might want to try old versions of lsdj before johan changed the hf vibrato.. it used to get MUCH crazier but thats the tradeoff for being more musical on the other end.

Ah, I didn't know about this, I'm using some version from 2007/2008 or something, so maybe my advice isn't as applicable as one would hope, but that's probably how he got the sound.

Italy

Woah woah guys you were quick!
So basically that's just a lot of vib'd sound.. that was really easier than what I expected! I thought it was some strange sweep value yikes

Thanks everyone for the tips, I will try the older lsdj versions to find which is the best.
Anyway a VF5 sound is enough distorted for me, I guess. I will experiment a bit with the sound and find ways to make it kewl enough

Also thanks to Skin Walker for his bass advice!

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Also do really fast w command changes in your table. Like, every step kinda fast. It creates a unique distorted sound if combined with the v command techniques that were mentioned.

I do this for a lead in this song. (Which you can also get the .sav files for here)

Italy
Auxcide wrote:

Also do really fast w command changes in your table. Like, every step kinda fast. It creates a unique distorted sound if combined with the v command techniques that were mentioned.

That's exactly what I was doing right now!

Anyway, I guess your album was one of the places where I heard that too tongue

Manchester, England
Merutochan wrote:

Woah woah guys you were quick!
So basically that's just a lot of vib'd sound.. that was really easier than what I expected! I thought it was some strange sweep value yikes

Thanks everyone for the tips, I will try the older lsdj versions to find which is the best.
Anyway a VF5 sound is enough distorted for me, I guess. I will experiment a bit with the sound and find ways to make it kewl enough

Also thanks to Skin Walker for his bass advice!

No problem mate, just go through each bit of advice and see which one best suits your tracks width. When it comes to heavy bass INSIDE of a song, it's always best to test on both headphones and speakers and settle on a sound that compliments both.

Unsubscribe

I forget the exact version number, but you should be able to use the changelog as a guide as it is mentioned there.