I wanted a big collection of Amiga MODs I could download easily all in one go. I read about the Amiga MODs Anthology, which consists of 4 CDs, but it took me a little while to find it online since Megaupload is down and no one is seeding the torrent. Sharing the info here in case anyone else finds it useful...

You can get the Amiga MODs Anthology off the English Amiga Board FTP.
Username: [email protected]
Password: [email protected]

Unzip the ISOs, mount them in a virtual drive, open in your audio player and set to shuffle. smile

By the way, the EAB FTP lists an unofficial "5th" part of the anthology but it's just a zip of soundtracks to games. I didn't bother saving it.

P.S. If you want Atari MODs, Fading Twilight has 12 ISOs.

CHIPTUNE

You could also ftp-download from ftp.modland.com I guess. But thanks for sharing this!

Yeah I thought of that, but it's too big, and I wouldn't know where to begin! I wanted something slightly more curated. 80GB of modules is too much! Although on second thought...

New York City

This MODs anthology is rather poor. I was looking for the same recently, downloaded it and was terribly disappointed.

It's missing a lot of artists and focuses too much on chiptune. It looks like a cut-down version ofwhat "The Chip Republic" was (which I have a backup of and maybe I should upload it somewhere).
There's a LOT more to the Amiga than just chippy modfiles.

If you want a really comprehensive list, do as goto80 says, go to Modland and download the whole Protracker directory. Be ready to wait some days to get it all, that shit is massive.

Forgot to say, if you want a head start with a list of cool artists to check out, download the folders of the artists featured in Mazemod: http://www.mazemod.org/ . I find the curation of Mazemod to be excellent and well balanced on the spectrum of what forms Amiga music. It's a shame it's not updated more often (who do I have to contact to ask about this, goto80?)

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 3, 2012 11:25 am)

uhajdafdfdfa

there is also melcom's chiptunes archive which is only 80 megabytes and only includes chiptunes
http://www.chiptune.de/
it focuses "too much" on chiptunes which is good because doskpop and rave music suck

you can also download all of modarchive, it is around 30 gigabytes for the 2007 snapshot and around 1 gigabyte for each year's updates since then. unfortunately files are no sorted by artist but by file name which is NOT GREAT. this does not focus on chiptune. i think there are 120000 songs here

chiptune.com also has an ftp and a selection of modules which is much smaller and handpicked by rez. it shouldn't take you long to download all of that. given the url you can probably guess it focuses on chipmusic.

the problem with downloding a million chiptunes at once is....... well, imagine downloading all of 8bc. 99% of it sucks smile

and there's A.M.P which is sorted by artist but you have to download single files. (and if you're not on Amiga you need to rename them extension last) Anyway there is some stuff here you won't find elsewhere because Crown got in contact with people directly for unreleased tracks.

also scene.org might have some extra bits, I found a directory of Dune tracks I'd not heard before.

Last edited by 4mat (Sep 3, 2012 12:06 pm)

New York City
ant1 wrote:

it focuses "too much" on chiptunes which is good because doskpop and rave music suck

It seems to me you're stuck downloading 90s mods only. Because none of the newer Amiga stuff is either doskpop or rave ;P

Holland
ant1 wrote:

there is also melcom's chiptunes archive which is only 80 megabytes and only includes chiptunes
http://www.chiptune.de/

you can also download all of modarchive, it is around 30 gigabytes for the 2007 snapshot and around 1 gigabyte for each year's updates since then. unfortunately files are no sorted by artist but by file name which is NOT GREAT. this does not focus on chiptune. i think there are 120000 songs here

chiptune.com also has an ftp and a selection of modules which is much smaller and handpicked by rez. it shouldn't take you long to download all of that. given the url you can probably guess it focuses on chipmusic.

the problem with downloding a million chiptunes at once is....... well, imagine downloading all of 8bc. 99% of it sucks smile

Only thing with chiptune.com is that it's incredibly outdated. Just go thru some mods from modland and find out what artists you like, most of them got tons more mods and you'll be busy with listening those for a while.

Bratislava, Slovakia

http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/UnExoticA

this is good page with many exotic formats (can be played with DeliPlayer for example)

uhajdafdfdfa
akira^8GB wrote:
ant1 wrote:

It seems to me you're stuck downloading 90s mods only. Because none of the newer Amiga stuff is either doskpop or rave ;P

well tongue was in cheek a little bit. but if you do download a huge archive of non chiptune amiga music you are bound to get so much doskpop and bad attempts at 90s dance music which is a bit disheartening and wastes space and bandwidth

New York City

I know and this is why I recommended going through Mazemod and then downloading the artist folders of what you liked there wink

uhajdafdfdfa

smile yep, a good idea

honestly the bulk download idea sucks, give up on it

you don't approach normal music like "i'll just listen to every rock song ever made until i find the good ones" because it doesn't work and it doesn't work with chiptunes either.

i've tried going through the whole hvsc and got about quarter of the way before giving up disheartend, if you just ask your friends and likeminded people for the cool stuff that they are into, you can find a lot more cool stuff like that through word of mouth, without having to listen to all the junk in between

Unsubscribe

^+1

São Paulo, Brazil
akira^8GB wrote:

I know and this is why I recommended going through Mazemod and then downloading the artist folders of what you liked there wink

How do you access an artist folder on mazemod? I always got to download only the playlists.