Blackpool

First attepmt at making 8-bit music, I have never done music before and I have made to small samples,
http://soundcloud.com/pixel-productions

I am using -

DMG-001 Pro Sound
Korg Kaoss Pad 1
Alto ZMX52
Audacity
Live 8

Tell me were I Can improve and what techniques I can use.

Cheers guys big_smile

Granada, Spain

Try to sound like 8-bit music if you are doing 8-bit music.

Also, what are you using in your DMG?

Last edited by Skycstls (Sep 4, 2012 8:34 pm)

Just the DMG itself, it's used as percussion

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

(Link to the video of the guy playing his gameboy as a percussion instrument)

Auxcide wrote:

(Link to the video of the guy playing his gameboy as a percussion instrument)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpdYKamOjUo

bro, this dosen't sound 8 bit at all

Russia, Moscow

It sound more like noise music.

Philly, PA, USA

you guys are dumb or something, it sounds like any fuckin gameboy i've ever heard just with a few effects thrown on. besides who fuckin cares if it doesn't "sound 8-bit"

however, constructive criticism
you music or whatever doesn't really have any structure, and it seems like you're having some stereo recording issues. The best advice i can think to give would be just to have some idea of what you want to make and then see what you need to do to make it, not necessarily a whole vision for the song you're trying to make, just think about "what is it i'm trying to do" and then figure out how to do that. "music" is a bit broad, but if you're looking to do dance music you need a beat, and just go from there.
You're a good ways off from where you wanna be I think, so just make some things for a while that you don't show anyone, or maybe just a couple of people, until you're at a point where you are happy with it yourself, then you can ask for criticism, because honestly, there aren't really songs yet

also mister pokemon, not every fuckin 8bit thing needs to sound like a video game.

Last edited by pixls (Sep 4, 2012 10:18 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa

pixls is right, "it sounds like any fuckin gameboy i've ever heard just with a few effects thrown on" ...

this music is kinda odd. i don't find it special in any way but at least it's somewhat original

Brunswick, GA USA

Sounds like you want to be environmental sound collapse. Try using less effects, or effects that don't mask that the source is a chip so much. Good luck.

Chicago IL, USA

I personally am indifferent to your use of effects over the chip, it could give you something to separate from the general LSDJ crowd. However, you need to make songs not random bursts of noise in random sequences. If you're going for out of time, spastic stuff, it needs to be finely tuned to a ridiculous degree to be considered good. I understand everyone has to start somewhere, but you don't need to record everything along the way. some of the sounds you are using are nice though and if you made a coherent song it would probably be dope, so don't be discouraged.

Philly, PA, USA

Yeah, so far everyone's adivce about structure or whatever has been pretty alright, but again

use as many fuckin effects as you want til it's at a point where you think it sounds good, and make sure you're making it to sound good, not to what you think other people think it should sound like.

Blackpool

Cheers for the help guys, much appreciated. Once I get good at LSDJ and edits I will post a new track smile

Lexington, KY
PIXeL_92 wrote:

If, like you said, you've never made music before, I suggest you look at some basic music theory. Nothing too complicated, but learn about sharps and flats, major and minor chords, key signatures and time signatures. Buying a cheap guitar or keyboard is a really goo way to practice theory, too!

trondheim, norway
Solarbear wrote:
PIXeL_92 wrote:

If, like you said, you've never made music before, I suggest you look at some basic music theory. Nothing too complicated, but learn about sharps and flats, major and minor chords, key signatures and time signatures. Buying a cheap guitar or keyboard is a really goo way to practice theory, too!

This advice goes for all music and 8-bit or any electronic music. Not everyone need the classical training and some just find their way on their own. The best advice is just keep trying and maybe just try copying the songs and artist that you love. When i started making electronic music (been playing in bands all my life before) i just tried to copy a sound or a type of song i liked and that way i learned how i could use a software like ableton live into doing what i wanted. However learning basic music theory is something that will help you GREATLY!

About effects, noise and all; making noise or free-tonal music is much less "freely" arranged than you might think. People making this kind of music and making it good, if its free impro, noise, free tonal music or free-jazz for that matter, it often means that they have grown beyond the classical music theory used in all arranged music and left it behind.

I agree about what some were saying about using a lot of effects, it don't hurt, but every effect should have some kind of purpose and ultimately should every layer has its meaning in making the music better. If its the sound you want, do it.

Be prepared to make music you think is good, looking back at it later and thinking its shit! Then it must mean that you're new music is better smile

Man. This is to much text. I should really stop smoking and chipmusic.org surfing