Brunswick, GA USA
TristEndo-in-spacebutt wrote:

I have always subscribed to the right wing "Preserved pixels are a lie of the emulation age" theory though :x

Is this because crt pixels are not square?

uhajdafdfdfa

or sharp

or the right colour

Toronto, Canada

On an old CRT television maybe. On some computer monitors they've been very sharp for as long as NES has been around though.

It may be true that the NES never had flat square pixels at that time because it was played on TVs, but there were other computer systems that have very nice sharp pixels in the same era.

Scotland
snesei wrote:

Would this work for regular pictures as well? Last week someone broke into my car and stole all my equipment and I believe I found it on craigslist. Just cant read the serial all too well to match my box.

Have you done anything about it? Hurry up! Contact the guy saying you're interested. Then, ask for his address to come view it. After you have the address, ask him to meet in public instead, as it'd be probably be easier. Somewhere like Starbucks. Go with a friend. Carry either a voice recorder or videocamera. Look at the device and read the serial number. If it matches up (and make sure it matches up) have your friend make a call. Start recording. Ask him "Do you know this handheld console is stolen?" if he admits he knows it's stolen, but denies he stole it, he's still breaking the law. If he makes a run for it, follow him, but keep your distance. Hopefully, even if you lose him, you'll have his address.

Or simply phone the police.

Brunswick, GA USA
rainwarrior wrote:

It may be true that the NES never had flat square pixels at that time because it was played on TVs, but there were other computer systems that have very nice sharp pixels in the same era.

Perception is a funny thing I guess...

Sydney, NSW
Edward Shallow wrote:
snesei wrote:

Would this work for regular pictures as well? Last week someone broke into my car and stole all my equipment and I believe I found it on craigslist. Just cant read the serial all too well to match my box.

Have you done anything about it? Hurry up! Contact the guy saying you're interested. Then, ask for his address to come view it. After you have the address, ask him to meet in public instead, as it'd be probably be easier. Somewhere like Starbucks. Go with a friend. Carry either a voice recorder or videocamera. Look at the device and read the serial number. If it matches up (and make sure it matches up) have your friend make a call. Start recording. Ask him "Do you know this handheld console is stolen?" if he admits he knows it's stolen, but denies he stole it, he's still breaking the law. If he makes a run for it, follow him, but keep your distance. Hopefully, even if you lose him, you'll have his address.

you keep forgetting dude, this is the internet.

if there's no way to do it from the safety of your computer screen, then there's no way to do it at all.

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

i just take screen shots in an emulator an blow them up in photoshop. when you resize, just make sure your doing it in even precentages (e.g. 200%, 300%, etc) and select "Nearest Neighbor" to preserve hard edges, othewise it will blur the image.

California
rainwarrior wrote:

On an old CRT television maybe. On some computer monitors they've been very sharp for as long as NES has been around though.

yes pixels are square in nature, Its just that since they where tv games the art should be displayed in that fashion. Its just a stupid purist thing hehe. It would be cool if there was some kind of image editing plugin that emulates crt pixel light.

Toronto, Canada

There have been some pretty good attempts, like Blargg's libraries: http://slack.net/~ant/libs/ntsc.html

Though, the other side of it is that this blurriness, bleeding, color bursting, etc. can be considered an undesired artifact, the same as background noise/buzz or the strong lowpass from RF demodulation that you get on the audio side of things. The image in memory is represented as discrete blocks, and the original design of NES sprites and tiles would in many cases have been done with enlarged pixels on a computer monitor. Pixels are a clear and accurate way to display the data that's in there. Furthermore, nice clean pixels are just aesthetically pleasing to a lot of people. I don't think it's really unjustified to prefer the look of pixels.

I used to draw pixel versions of mario sprites on graph paper when I was a kid; even though the TV's image was fuzzy, I still could make out the pixels and thought of them as pixels, possibly because I had an Atari ST and was used to the idea of pixels already. I would have loved to play games then as they look now.

The NES' video output was never very clean, it was only good enough to resolve the picture adequately, but with the SNES it got a bit cleaner, and nowadays you can get very clean composite output from a PS3 or Wii. On a modern HD TV you can really see the pixels very well (try Mega Man 9 on a PS3, for example). I'm actually very happy that modern emulation has freed us from the very poor signal quality we used to have.

Last edited by rainwarrior (Sep 14, 2012 6:14 pm)

Detroit, Michigan
Chainsaw Police wrote:
Edward Shallow wrote:

you keep forgetting dude, this is the internet.

if there's no way to do it from the safety of your computer screen, then there's no way to do it at all.

I live by that statement when it comes to Detroit. I don't play around with that shit, but I did go look at it with some friends and it wasn't mine. It was definitely stolen though because he offered to sell to me for $30

detroit
snesei wrote:

I live by that statement when it comes to Detroit. I don't play around with that shit, but I did go look at it with some friends and it wasn't mine. It was definitely stolen though because he offered to sell to me for $30

Pro-am. you could get more cash at a fucking gamestop.

Brunswick, GA USA
snesei wrote:

Careful out there, good luck getting it replaced. (At least until they invent that fake CSI "enhance" stuff...)

The Bronx
TristEndo-in-spacebutt wrote:

yes pixels are square in nature […].

Silly TristEndo, pixels don't exist in nature.