Minneapolis

Just post what are your fave keyboards (the typing kind) and why! Vintage keyboards are of course preferred, since they're obviously superior! smile

I'll start off by saying the Apple Extended I have with my Apple IIgs is an excellent board, with individual switches under each and every key, none of this membrane garbage. And I am currently retro-fitting an IBM Model F XT board for USB connection, and that keyboard is the king of all keyboards IMO, having a totally funky layout (ISO standard!), amazing clickety sound, heavy steel body, and fantastic durability. It'd probably rank right up there with a sawn-off shotgun and chainsaw as my favorite zombie apocalypse defense weapon if it weren't for the fact that I also enjoy typing on it. smile  Lastly, my Tandy 102 probably has the finest laptop keyboard ever made, being well built, tactile, and quiet.

I'll post pictures of them here when I can borrow a camera.

Last edited by arfink (Mar 1, 2010 4:05 pm)

York, Yorkshire

I spent 5 minutes typing on my C64 when it arrived.  Fond memories!  Such a nice positive feel.  Lovely. cool

Of course, the C64 wasn't even plugged in big_smile

EDIT : Spectrum FTL

Last edited by BitPop (Mar 1, 2010 4:26 pm)

C64C and Amiga such nice vintage feeling

Minneapolis
BitPop wrote:

EDIT : Spectrum FTL

Yes. Mega FAIL on those keyboards. Timex Sinclair 1000 also had a pretty fantastically bad keyboard too.

I find it funny how everyone mentions the C64 and Amigas. I have never typed on one before, ever. I saw one in person over at UnicornDreamAttack's place, but didn't really mess with it at all, so I can't say whether I like the feel. Of course, if any of you know me, you know I'm not in this for nostalgia- I wasn't alive when most of these machines were around, and if I was I was far too young to have used any. I like the old 'boards because they're usually of a better build quality and just plain feel better to type on.

uhajdafdfdfa
arfink wrote:

I find it funny how everyone mentions the C64 and Amigas.

Yeah, it's strange that people would have C64s and Amigas on a website about music very often made with C64s and Amigas. wink

I hate the keyboard on my A500 though, it's really "mushy" (I don't think it's that way with all Amigas though, just mine is a bit dodgy). I quite like the low travel and small keys of my laptop's built in keyboard, but unfortunately it has no numpad, so I have to use a "proper" keyboard. sad

Milan, Italy

Minneapolis

It's odd because I have only heard it here, actually. Most people are of your mind Ant1, that the Amiga 500s didn't come with good keyboards. As for low travel and small keys- it tends to make my hands cramp. sad

Minneapolis
arottenbit wrote:

WIN

England

BBC Micro!

No matter how long we spend apart, she always feels so right!

Philly, PA, USA

I like my macbook pro keyboard, not the new one, early 2008 edition i believe, right spacing, layout and clickiness. not too much like a laptop keyboard, but not too much pressing required for each key press.

I do also like the new mac desktop keyboards, more like laptop keyboards, but i find them quite nice for typing on

))<>((

It feels weird for me typing on a regular keyboard now, I'm so used to typing on my laptop keyboard.

But I absolutely detest our Mac G5's keyboard. I have to beat the shit out of the keys to actually type.

Chicago, IL

I love the way that my MacBook's chicklet keyboard types nearly silently with it's iSkin on it. It's comfy, grippy, and pretty.

Marysville, WA

For some reason I love this keyboard... I have other ones with media/shortcut buttons and whatnot but I always just prefer this. The keys are really low and quiet, similair to a laptop keyboard, but with the standard button layout.
Logitech makes a keyboard that's set up just the same, but the buttons are kind of soft/rubbery and they have lights underneath, so when this one dies on me that's what I'm moving up to.

sweden

IBM Model M

£4.99 from Argos. It does the job.

I'd ideally like one of these...

))<>((
Dweeble wrote:

I'd ideally like one of these...

yesssss, I want one of theseee.

but they're soo expensive. D:

how about one of these:

Last edited by tacticalbread (Mar 2, 2010 12:05 am)