Philadelphia, PA

Everdrive for NES and Famicom are currently in development.  Full details have not entirely been released.

I consulted with kevtris of NESdev to get a taste of what this cart could potentially do for chip musicians.

First off, what are the chips on board?

kevtris wrote:

(There are) 3 level xlators, small flash ROM, large sector based flash ROM, two SRAMs, CPLD, FPGA (cyclone 2) and a USB chip.

Chatting a little more we noticed that the FPGA on the Everdrive FC is larger than the one in the PowerPak.  This means it could store more logic all at once.  My first question was could it potentially fit all known expansion audio chips at once.  The answer is that it certainly could.

Now multi-chip NSFs could potentially no longer be a "hack."

Let's wait for more information to unfold. smile

Last edited by B00daW (Sep 24, 2012 10:19 pm)

Welp, here we go. An other level.

Savannah, Georgia

woah, where'd all the badass NES stuff come from all of a sudden? first ENIO, then supermagic, now this?!

Last edited by Aeros (Sep 24, 2012 10:38 pm)

New York City

I hope Krikz is more conscious of the utility of this cart than he was with the original Megadrive Everdrive, where the use of TFC files is cumbersome and unreliable.

Philadelphia, PA

Almost forgot to mention...  On his thread he says he's going to release the Famicom cart first -- being that most of the world and including himself have famiclones.

If any of you have an NES and want to buy this cart for its potential expansion audio capabilities you may want to know that expansion audio will not work with standard 60 to 72 pin connectors; even with the expansion audio mod.  Standard converter carts do not have their expansion pins tracing to the cart edge.  In summary you will have to mod the converter as well.

So in conclusion people will have to produce new cart converters, modify their own, or wait for Everdrive NES.

Milwaukee, WI

Mannnn, now I'm gonna have to buy another thing.  Is there a price estimate yet?

Kingdom of Glitches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

BK

ok this is awesome news. I'm going to have to save up and get one and an ENIO when that's out too.

Philadelphia, PA

Tried reaching out to the guy to give him some pointers before making his products.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic … 737#msg737

Honestly I was hoping for a GB everdrive, but I'm equally excited for this. Time to get an AV Famicom

Philadelphia, PA

He responded with the minimum bankswitching capabilities.  This means that we could finally load the max 1MB NSFs on hardware.  PowerPak only allows 256KB max in size NSFs.