Hi!
I’m a old chip enthusiast but new to this forum.  I was sort of active in the demo scene back the 90’s. I made lots of tunes but never realy released them properly.

I Started tracking on the Amiga during the early 90’s (StarTrekker & ProTracker) but didn’t hit my creative stride until later in the 90’s when I switched to PC and FastTracker2.

At the end of my go at the scene I was a member of a chip group called Digisonix. I remember we were working on a musicdisc that sadly never got to be since all members seemingly started to drift away from the scene at that time.

The other guys in Digisonix were sort of high-profile in the genre back then, not sure if they are remembered by the current generation: Radix, Loonie, Rez, Hunz, KeyG… All of them awesome musicians! …So I guess I was the odd one out in that constellation ;-)

At the start of the new millennium I sort of quit tracking and the scene all together. Don’t think I made any new tunes for almost a decade.  My fondness for the chipsound never went away thoug. Never let go of my love for SID tunes, .mod, .xm and .s3m.

Now – many years later I have started to fool around with tracking again. This time in Milkytracker on Mac (The tracker most resembeling FT2 that I have found, I dont have the time to start all over again).

Since work and the rest of life takes soo much time these days I cant put as much time in to music as I did back in the day. Now I mostly dig out old unfinished/unreleased stuff and try to finalize them and get them online once and for all. After a rough day at work I’ve found that playing around with chiptunes is a good way to kick back.

I have no idea about the current state of the demo scene or ”modern” (er, the last… decade?!?) chiptunes. Might be my old tunes sound prehistoric and primitive to todays listeners? If that is so theres not much I can do about it. BUT if you have read this far and would like to give me some constructive criticism on some of my tunes – feel free to do so!

/ gusse ^digisonix

http://soundcloud.com/gusse_dsx/jerrys- … ture-guest
http://soundcloud.com/gusse_dsx/digital-vacation
http://soundcloud.com/gusse_dsx/pocked-sized-galaxy
http://soundcloud.com/gusse_dsx/demob
http://soundcloud.com/gusse_dsx/spaceant-noloop

Brunswick, GA USA

Now following, nice work.

There is no need to be ashamed of your age, and no need to disclose it either. It is difficult to guess if this would have been lost in the era of Radix, Reed, and Elwood, but I'm glad you found time to polish and release now, and I hope you have more where it came from.

Savannah, Georgia
gusse^dsx wrote:

Might be my old tunes sound prehistoric and primitive to todays listeners?

coming from a new addition to the chipscene, i'll just go ahead and answer with a big fat NO. OLDSKOOL IS BESTSKOOL.

extremely great tracks you've got here, especially for xm mods. the feel you put into your tracks and your overwhelmingly efficient use of instruments is awesome, in every sense of the term. that, and you don't hear too many tracks from mod composers, since it's mostly gameboys, c64s, and fakebit now, so this is a nice change. great work overall, keep it going!

Last edited by Aeros (Sep 29, 2012 7:58 pm)

Don't be worried about your age or sounding primitive-IMO, your stuff is fresher than most stuff on here lately and I love it! Welcome back!

Last edited by an0va (Sep 29, 2012 8:22 pm)

NC in the US of America
Aeros wrote:
gusse^dsx wrote:

coming from a new addition to the chipscene, i'll just go ahead and answer with a big fat NO. OLDSKOOL IS BESTSKOOL.

extremely great tracks you've got here, especially for xm mods. the feel you put into your tracks and your overwhelmingly efficient use of instruments is awesome, in every sense of the term. that, and you don't hear too many tracks from mod composers, since it's mostly gameboys, c64s, and fakebit now, so this is a nice change. great work overall, keep it going!

an0va wrote:

Don't be worried about your age or sounding primitive-IMO, your stuff is fresher than most stuff on here lately and I love it! Welcome back!

it sounded good.

Madison, Alabama

Good melodies and songwriting don't go out of style.  Welcome back to the hobby!  Your musical instincts are good.  Just keep at it.  Following you on soundcloud so I can hear more!

It's like riding a bike !

your musical life sounds really familiar wink

great stuff, loving it, and your oldschool crafting skills are immediately obvious.

not exactly cc, because all the tracks are great, but I'd love to see a bigger picture, go on a longer journey, with greater peaks and troughs than a 3 minute song can provide.

Holland

Yay demoscene!! Ofcourse I remember those names, most of them are still my biggest inspiration. I'll listen to your stuff later.

Why did you stop demoscene? And don't you want to come back for some beers on Evoke or Revision?

I think Daniel Wressle aka Brandon Walsh is doing stuff for digisonix now, he's doing pretty good in compo's.

Holland

I gave some comments on your soundcloud.

Holland
Aeros wrote:
gusse^dsx wrote:

Agreed although you definitely need to look better, because there are still loads of xm and mods made. Saying it's mostly gameboys and fakebit nowadays is nonsense and sad for me to hear.

Illinoisenoisenoise

so much goodness in each of your songs, following!

washington

Incredible!

Praha, Czech republic

Nice tunes, looking forward to more! :]

xylo wrote:

Yay demoscene!! Ofcourse I remember those names, most of them are still my biggest inspiration. I'll listen to your stuff later.

Why did you stop demoscene? And don't you want to come back for some beers on Evoke or Revision?

I think Daniel Wressle aka Brandon Walsh is doing stuff for digisonix now, he's doing pretty good in compo's.

Im not sure exactly why I stoped but I think most of my scenefriends did the same thing at about the same time. We were all about the same age and I guess there was some sort of generation change happening. I seem to remember feeling like I wasn't enjoying it as much any more, thinking that I've had my run at the scene and that it simply was time to move on. Studies, work, relationships, new hobbies and the rest of life in general took over.

I joined Loonie at some small local c64-gathering a while back. Can't remember the name.  I might do that again if the opportunity presents it self , but I cant see my self traveling outside Stockholm for a demoparty any time soon. I don't have the time.

I don't think I know of Daniel Wressle but I'll google him!

Can you point out other recent chip-trackermusicians that do melodic tunes like Radix and Loonie used to do them?  I know about Malmen but I'm sure there are loads of others I have missed!

Where do people release their stuff these days?

Brooklon

Whoa. Some seriously great stuff here. Such funks. Welcome back!

Edit: Jesus, the latter half of Pocked Sized Galaxy just floored me. YEZ!!1

Edit: cerror does some nice melodic stuff that you may be in to

Last edited by Note! (Sep 30, 2012 10:30 pm)