Austin, Texas

I'm glad this thread came up, since it opened the dialogue on spec work.

I'm generally against spec work, and the "graphic design competition" idea generally makes me ill at ease, especially when it is proposed by another artist—in that case, it is simply one artist devaluing the work of another artist. That said, I did enter the Nonelectronics Sticker Design Contest, but it was my choice to do that even though I was well aware that it was spec work as well as a grey area for my own ethics.

That said, its a matter of both principals and of personal investment. I churned out 4 sticker designs in Illustrator using design elements left over from earlier work, and it didn't take me that long. However, I'm an exceptionally mediocre musician, and I can't imagine ever finishing a 10 minute long composition. That is an opus by my standards. I couldn't fathom letting the rights to that go for $100 and a slap on the back.

coneal wrote:

…we don't know yet how we might use the song… but we might come up with other uses of it in the future.

You could always change your terms before you and the hypothetical artist(s) enter a legal agreement so that they retain their rights and you license the song at an affordably low royalty rate. How badly do you think your game will fail? Bad enough that you can't afford 5% or 10% royalties on usage of the song in your marketing? That doesn't sound like a lot of faith in your product.

Last edited by Telerophon (Sep 10, 2012 4:49 pm)

Hi folks, just a reminder that the deadline for this contest is rapidly approaching (Oct. 7, 2012).  We've gotten some great entries, but we're always eager to here from more of you.

Chris

The judging has concluded and we have selected a winner for this contest, the very talented Lars the Laohu!

In the process, my brother and I had a serious discussion about the concerns voiced in this thread. As designers, the last thing we want to do is make other artists feel they're giving up ownership of their work. So we contacted a lawyer friend and learned how to structure a more favorable agreement. The result is that instead of buying this song for $100, we have structured it as a license. Lars still gets the $100 we promised, and we're allowed to give away the MP3 a fun Kickstarter bonus for our card game, but he retains full ownership of the song.

It may not address every single concern raised here -- people in the contest still had to "work on spec" if they didn't have a relevant portfolio piece -- but I hope it shows our respect for Lars and every artist who submitted awesome chiptune music for this contest.

Thanks again for being an awesome community, and for helping us see the light on this issue.

Chris

Milwaukee, WI

Awesome!

Utah

If any of you were interested in this game, the kickstarter just went live today.

Boss Monster