La paz - Bolivia

Explaining myself a little bit, despite owning a GBA, I do not own a LSDJ cart.

So far it wasn't a problem, since I was using vba to compose (and I was a begginer, so...).

But I have a gig in 2 weeks, and i heard that the real deal (DMG with lsdj) sounds different (a.k.a. way better!).

I found a post in the forum where cheapshot says lsdj on the wii sounds really good, which lead me to the question:

"should i use my wii to compose instead of my pc?"

PS: A friend is borrowing me his transfer cart for the gig, so all i have to do is copy the .sav there....

The computer you use to compose your songs on has no influence whatsoever in how the songs will sound when you use a transfer cart in the end.
You could compose on your microwave if you can program it that way... in the end you will play in from a gameboy, so that's what counts.

-edit-
The system you use to write your music on does sound different than the gameboy perhaps. So if you spend a lot of time tweaking your instruments to sound just right, it may sound different when you finally play it on real gameboy hardware.. But this will be the case for a pc, a mac, or a wii. or whatever you use... Most people won't even hear it tho.

so yeah.
just write on whatever works best for you, and try to get the transfer cart early so you can hear it on real hardware and maybe add some tweaks.

Last edited by Timbob (Oct 3, 2012 4:27 pm)

Madison, Alabama

I can't comment on the Wii, but the best emulated sound I've come across if via the emulator BGB.  Sounds pretty accurate.  I'd say don't mess with the wii and just use a laptop running BGB.

La paz - Bolivia

› slow answer

_edit_

well, since this reply seemed to be kind of slow, its no longer useful.

Anyway, BGB? tried it once, but i gave up on it when exporting to wav, since it was too messy... and the output sounded glitchy (blame it on the old lappy).
But if it sounds good as you say, might as well give it another shot.

Last edited by toroxciso (Oct 3, 2012 4:37 pm)

Madison, Alabama

the wav exporting *sounds* messy while it's going on, but the end result should sound fine.

I do a lot of writing on BGB and then dump the sav on a cart for recording and live play, and I usually don't have to tweak the sound much once I get it on the cart.  BGB is pretty darn close.  I've tried vba and it sounded a bit off to my ears.  That was a year or two ago though.

Unsubscribe

I remember the wii gb emulator sounding pretty good, I think its based on RIN right?

La paz - Bolivia
roboctopus wrote:

the wav exporting *sounds* messy while it's going on, but the end result should sound fine.

hmm... so, it's not just me? that's good to know

roboctopus wrote:

BGB is pretty darn close.  I've tried vba and it sounded a bit off to my ears.  That was a year or two ago though.

Well, there are two versions of it... the standard vba and the modified vba (vba-m)... the last one sounded pretty good when it came to NL 2.5 demo, so I thought it might be the best when I started with LSDJ...

On the bright side, BGB .sav seems to be compatible with VBA, so I'll start with it.

herr_prof wrote:

I remember the wii gb emulator sounding pretty good, I think its based on RIN right?

Yup, it's RIN based. Cheapshot did a test with Vba-gx, though.

New Albany Indiana

wiis are gay, and you would look stupid with a motion controller on stage.

Unsubscribe

YEA CUZ YOU SUCH A  VIRILE MAN WITH A DMG IN YOU HANDZ

herr_prof wrote:

YEA CUZ YOU SUCH A  VIRILE MAN WITH A DMG IN YOU HANDZ

babylon

okay so ive been curious about something. i use my wii a lot, mainly due to how easy installing homebrew is, and was wondering kinda the same thing except not with gb emulators. im thinking that if the wii can emulate c64, atari ST, amiga, zx, and has a dosbox port can any of these run trackers and sound fairly accurate? i suppose i could try myself but just curious if anyone else knew, i dont have much experience with stuff outside of gb's and sunvox so i might not have the best ears for the job.

edit: spelling

Last edited by walter b. gentle (Oct 3, 2012 11:14 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

SID is the hardest chip to get right, partly as an effect of its design- once you're really used to it, the different revisions of SID have different tones to them, and you can change the tone yourself by replacing the capacitor it uses for filtering.

I think the most correct way to consider using emulation instead of actual hardware for your music are latency issues and if the sound you get as end result is what you want. Being "correct" can be beside the point for what many of us do as musicians, it's more important to consider if you are actually getting the sound you want.

Unsubscribe

Notable:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/HiivelyPlay

La paz - Bolivia
walter b. gentle wrote:

okay so ive been curious about something. i use my wii a lot, mainly due to how easy installing homebrew is, and was wondering kinda the same thing except not with gb emulators. im thinking that if the wii can emulate c64, atari ST, amiga, zx, and has a dosbox port can any of these run trackers and sound fairly accurate?

wouldn't know about it, but schism tracker is there. Being impulse tracker based, I would say is a good choice.
There's also wii linux, which might as well be useful, I guess.

Why are you debating over pc or wii instead of just getting a cart?

Austin, Texas

If you're going to emulate, which there are legitimate causes for doing, then BGB is the way to go. There's no real reason to use a less accurate emulator unless the alternative is that much more convenient.