WOW MAN!

It should run on pretty much anything as it's using the most basic of ROM/mapper combinations. You can't save anything and this is by design. I want it to be more of a live performance instrument. Adding saving via battery RAM would be totally simple but I wanted to maximise compatibility with emulators and carts etc. Hopefully ENIO can make a big difference to these kind of issues, on hardware at least.

Oh and the name is cajoNES, with an 'A'.... a cajon is a traditional box-shaped percussive instrument from Peru. I have no idea what other connotations that name could have big_smile

Philadelphia, PA

With that intense refresh rate a lot of those pulses are sounding like AY volume envelopes.  Bet you could make a synthetic AY without the noise switching bit. smile

Planet Zaxxon

nice! but yea i read it as "COJONES" too.. heh

first PNES, now COJONES. so i thought it made sense!

West Yorks, UK

That does it. Im sending you some money. How I can do this? Whenst i finally get an enio and all this stuff gets it on with my midi equipment I shall also send you my soul, oh great one.
Cheers!

WOW MAN!

Ha ha, that's kind of you but not necessary. The charity link on my website is still active though if you have a desire to part with some money

http://blog.ntrq.net/?page_id=68

cajoNES progress: I ended up refactoring the controls. That's what happens when you develop on an emulator: you find out that the controls are all bollocks when you use an actual NES controller!  Tightened a few things up and added a couple of little bonus features big_smile

Austin, Texas
neilbaldwin wrote:

You can't save anything and this is by design. I want it to be more of a live performance instrument. Adding saving via battery RAM would be totally simple but I wanted to maximise compatibility with emulators and carts etc.

If you did want a hacked together way to "save" in cajóNES using a PowerPak, you could experiment with Kalle's PowerPak Save State Mappers.

I don't personally own a PowerPak yet and haven't played with his Save State on Hardware system, so I have no idea how it will work, but that's a thing one could try if they really wanted to save instances in this program.

WOW MAN!

I'll take a look. Not sure how that passed under my radar before.... *shrugs*  smile

Austin, Texas

Save States and Battery Save are kind of apples and oranges.

I like that you made this ROM saveless by design, I agree with your design philosophy on that one.

No complaints from me in the slightest! big_smile

WOW MAN!

Yeah, to be honest I'm not that convinced I'm going to add saving. We'll see. It it immense fun as a performance tool. You'll see smile

Austin, Texas

Yeahhhh can't wait for that next paycheck to take me to PowerPak heavennn! big_smile

WOW MAN!

Just been demoing cajoNES to a couple of interested friends and it was a riot. It went from 'oooh that's cute' to 'jesus christ, it's like Slipknot bought a Nintendo' in a matter of button presses.

My work is done...

Savannah, Georgia

gimme the damn rom already you tease tongue

WOW MAN!

God damn, you'd think if I was making stories up I'd get my social references right.

It went from 'oooh that's cute' to 'is that Skrillex's new song?' in a matter of button presses....

Sorry, as you were.

Chicago

Holy cajónes, this is epic!

killadelphia

Skrillex vrs. Slipknot ROM now please?

Seattle, WA

What the fuck do you put in your cereal, Neil!? Your output lately has been insane!

Last edited by Flit (Oct 8, 2012 7:10 am)