Tokyo, Japan

I have an opl3 base Midibox FM and there is one feature I can't quite wrap my head around. The MBFM Manual (http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_fm_manual.html about 60 percent of the way down) refers to it as a "wavetable sequencer" where as Adlib Tracker 2 calls them macros.

It looks to me like a kind of LSDJ like table for inputting lots of midi CC commands at sub tick levels? Anyone able to confirm? I

Planet Zaxxon

I just wish you lived near me so we could have OPL3 TECH nights.

I'd like to see that midibox FM in action as well. Sorry to express my thoughts rather than help your situation! heh

Tokyo, Japan

02star in Tokyo is totally on my list of things to do for the intermediate future

Planet Zaxxon

Mine too actually, I plan to head there within the next 2 years. I recently got a new job which it will allow me to do so!

Austin, Texas

Fuck yeah, get money make bloops. big_smile

I'd love to help, but you guys know I am an OPL3 baby. I hope you figure it out, lazerbeat.

Tokyo, Japan

02star in Tokyo?! Yes please!!

Unsubscribe
Lazerbeat wrote:

I have an opl3 base Midibox FM and there is one feature I can't quite wrap my head around. The MBFM Manual (http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_fm_manual.html about 60 percent of the way down) refers to it as a "wavetable sequencer" where as Adlib Tracker 2 calls them macros.

It looks to me like a kind of LSDJ like table for inputting lots of midi CC commands at sub tick levels? Anyone able to confirm? I

I dont own this praticular midibox but reading the manual it seems to be similar

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_fm_manual.html

you have up to 32 steps, and you can adjust three values (ccs) at any speed using rate up to 500hz. You dont have hop, but with all those extra steps you should be able to get some funky modulations going.

Tokyo, Japan

Why call it a WAVEtable then? Seems a bit misleading or am I missing something?

Unsubscribe

Thats a tracker convention. Blame those guys.

New York City

It comes from C64 tracker lore, and the name appeared because the first use was to rapidly change between waveforms. Now you can use it for more than just that, but the name stuck.
If you are changing the way the FM waveform is shaped, then the name is actually accurate wink

Last edited by akira^8GB (Oct 2, 2012 1:34 pm)

San Francisco

my recollection of wavetable synthesis in the traditional sense is that it is cycling and changing oscillators or samples to create a type additive synthesis with an evolving sound created by changing step to step to step with a different audio information on each step. these create simplified and digitized sound waves through tables of steps thus it is called wavetable synthesis.

I recall a lot of early digital "realistic" sounding synthesizer accomplished this by playing a short sample of the attack of a sound say like a flute and then jumping to another step that played a simple oscillator or tone. This would trick our ears into hearing something close to a flute sound. the benefit of this in early digital synths was that the samples used could be small files saving lots of room on the hardwares memory.

in LSDJ the wave channel implements wavetable synthesis by going through 16 steps of changing wave shapes at a set speed.
The faster the speed is played the smoother the sound evolution. at slower speeds you will here as the sound slowly drops to one step to another. the rest is just how you choose to set your modulation of those steps and what waves or samples you use.

in FM synthesis the values change for each step similar to a table in lsdj creating a choppy but effective modulation of sound. Chip music uses this a lot to create complicated modulation.

In short... yes. yes it is the same as tables.

Last edited by wedanced (Oct 7, 2012 9:37 pm)