Orange County, CA

~Hi I'm the owner and Pandora and we've been paying unfair costs. Up to 50% of our revenue going to record labels and artists, 60% more than sirius radio pls help pass this legislation so we pay less~ paraphrase of the ad I just heard on Pandora.

what in the.
I remember a thread a while ago about making money off chip, and in the thread people talked about how artists here were like making pennies off of their stuff being on the internet radio. Like I understand they have lots of popular songs I guess but trying to pass legislation so they pay less instead of just limit their selection (you know, like other smart services like Netflix) just seems kind of lame. Anyone else have thoughts?

Last edited by Dr Treble (Sep 23, 2012 8:51 pm)

shanghai

internet radio's pay money to people ? i didnt realise that. hmmm i dont have much view on the subject. idont think any of us hold any hope of buying a condo with radio royalties anytime soon. also its kind of 2012 and musicians all understand now that everone rapes your music. and you l pretty much only make a living of it if you do commercial shit like music for ads/games and constantly playing shows. not that i condone radio's skanking on royalties or anything, more ive just come to expect no money to come by way by radio play and shit like that.

shanghai

sorry my typing is fucktarded. not much sleeepz

Brunswick, GA USA

IME- conventional airplay doesn't pay that well either, but also....

When content providers in any field want something from Congress, they exaggerate to get their way, and are often seeking a competitive advantage.

Orange County, CA
chunter wrote:

IME- conventional airplay doesn't pay that well either, but also....

When content providers in any field want something from Congress, they exaggerate to get their way, and are often seeking a competitive advantage.

Downstate wrote:

internet radio's pay money to people ? i didnt realise that. hmmm i dont have much view on the subject. idont think any of us hold any hope of buying a condo with radio royalties anytime soon. also its kind of 2012 and musicians all understand now that everone rapes your music. and you l pretty much only make a living of it if you do commercial shit like music for ads/games and constantly playing shows. not that i condone radio's skanking on royalties or anything, more ive just come to expect no money to come by way by radio play and shit like that.

Basically. I just thought I'd bring it up.
Interesting take here.
I think to solve this I think everyone else's cost should raise up to what Pandora pays and then everyone will be all "what a twist!" and then radio people will shut up and then pandora will be that kid in the crowd who asked if the teacher was going to assign homework when they had forgotten and the rest of the class groans and hates them.
if only.

Unsubscribe

Pandora blows, id worry more about a company staying in business if they actually had good playlists or introduced me to good music.

Orange County, CA
herr_prof wrote:

Pandora blows, id worry more about a company staying in business if they actually had good playlists or introduced me to good music.

My concern isn't with Pandora staying in business or making sure their service has AAA songs my concern is them complaining about royalties cus greed.
And then what if it goes through, smaller artists are going to be cheated out of money they're barely getting as is.

Last edited by Dr Treble (Sep 24, 2012 5:20 pm)

The Wild Wintery North

As far as I know, artists start small. Therefore, small time artists, despite being cheated by radios,are just thankful that people are listening to their music.
But I agree, you shouldn't limit your music because someone will be unhappy. Music artists aren't getting payed much as it is now, so completely cutting their music because it's less popular is like not feeding a nerd, just because he isn't a jock or some popular kid in the world.