Also, I just wish that I had access to an unlimited amount of traditional instruments and recording space where I could orchestrate Spaghetti Western-style music for the rest of my life.

I'm serious.

I used to think I needed to be as smart as Herbie Hancock to make those kinds of jazzy chord progressions. But then I went ahead and did it anyway and found it works pretty well with little to no academic knowledge. Usually I'll start off with a major or minor chord, add another interval above it like a 7th and then invert the hell out of them. I don't follow any particular scale when I'm making the progressions either.

NC in the US of America
geckoyamori wrote:

I used to think I needed to be as smart as Herbie Hancock to make those kinds of jazzy chord progressions. But then I went ahead and did it anyway and found it works pretty well with little to no academic knowledge. Usually I'll start off with a major or minor chord, add another interval above it like a 7th and then invert the hell out of them. I don't follow any particular scale when I'm making the progressions either.

I usually just mix a bunch of whole step intervals into my major/minor chords =S

Generally I limit myself to minor intervals for minor chords (like a minor with a minor sixth or seventh counting from the root note) and major for major ones. Sticking with those kinds of progressions usually gives it an uplifting feel that I like.

Montgomery, AL

I always want to come out with a great blend of chip and tracked "real" drums/guitar, i.e. Cheap Dinosaurs, 'Guchi, Bitrat, etc.Ends up being a muddle.

hashtagmasteringblues

The Hollow Earth

Sometimes the best elements to spice up your compositions are surprisingly the most common. I like to use the traditional I-IV-V 12-bar blues chord progression. You can even take it a step further and throw in a II-V-I turn-around.

Katowice, Poland

I want to have ability to imitate other people's style, I've even tried to do it yikes.

Last edited by Jakim (Oct 12, 2012 9:38 pm)

New Albany Indiana

I do find it a challenge to get the sounds i want.

Chicago

more breakdowns.
My set doesn't allow enough opportunities for attendees to practice their kung-fu/tae kwon do/ beatdownhatemosh

I wish I could have the resources (ie, time) to write a full big-band-esque chart that used a Sega Genesis, a NES, and a Gameboy. I have to get the MIDI-components for each console (monay monay), but when I do hopefully I can blow minds. Until then, Gameboy all the way.

Brunswick, GA USA
thebitman wrote:

I wish I could have the resources (ie, time) to write a full big-band-esque chart that used a Sega Genesis, a NES, and a Gameboy. I have to get the MIDI-components for each console (monay monay)...

Why not do it in a sample tracker as proof of concept?

Germany

while i feel comfortable producing fast paced edm like drum&bass or electro house, i suck at getting instrumental hiphop tracks right. something in the vein of dj krush or the derse part of solatrus' prospit&derse-record (homestuck soundtrack. im a HUGE fan of all of that dave stuff, like those ridiculously lo-fi hiphop remixes of the other kids' themes). one reason that derse stuff does not work is that good string VSTs are fucking expensive......

oh, and rock musik. i want to make something like instrumental nu-metal, or maybe metalish post-rock (i dont like 99,9% of all metal singers). but i suck at composing guitar parts (and good guitar VSTs are expensive .......)

well im still learning.

IL, US
chunter wrote:
thebitman wrote:

I wish I could have the resources (ie, time) to write a full big-band-esque chart that used a Sega Genesis, a NES, and a Gameboy. I have to get the MIDI-components for each console (monay monay)...

so gensis/mdm, midines & arduinoboy/nlmidi w mGB...think that can be had for less than $700 total, could be a lot worse... you could be into modular synths
s waht im saying is sell some stuff you dont want and hopefully you can come up with the cash

e.s.c. wrote:
chunter wrote:

so gensis/mdm, midines & arduinoboy/nlmidi w mGB...think that can be had for less than $700 total, could be a lot worse... you could be into modular synths
s waht im saying is sell some stuff you dont want and hopefully you can come up with the cash

22 credit hours + college marching band + job DJing + girlfriend = no time to try another tracker right now. Thanksgiving might bring good tidings though...

Germany
thebitman wrote:

22 credit hours + college marching band + job DJing + girlfriend = no time to try another tracker right now. Thanksgiving might bring good tidings though...

you got way too many things going on. but, i am the same. i probably would get SOME of the things i want to do with music right, if i just concentrated on one thing for an extended period of time, e.g. tried my hardest making hiphop instead of getting an acoustic guitar with rather tangential use in my many musical projects.

Last edited by Rynnon (Oct 13, 2012 11:50 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

Don't take this the wrong way, but it doesn't matter how much money you have if you can't make the time.