Hey guys,

I have a little question here about biverting my DMG.

I want to instal an orange inverted LEDx3 backlight together with this hex switch mod (http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/hex-switch-v1). Will this result in a switch which will make me able to change between inverted and biverted ('normal') screen?

Also, will this be difficult to instal together with a 1/8 pro sound and RCA mod?

Thanks in advance!

Btw: I'm ordering from Kitsch, don't know if it matters ;)

Last edited by W4LKR (Oct 8, 2012 7:27 pm)

matt's mind

yes, this will allow you to switch between the two,

nope, shouldn't be too difficult!  one thing maybe to consider, the RCA jacks and the biversion work are usually located in the same area (up at top), so keep space in mind there.  it can get a little tight in that area at the top of the case.  if you put your RCA jacks elsewhere, thats cool too, whatever you'd like to do

Thanks a lot!
I'm still going to add both on top, looks way too beautifull haha.

I'm ordering next month if my money allows me (:

One more question.
I just bought a DPDT switch at a local electronics store, but that thing is huge!

How do you get it next to the RCA on top, or any place at all?

Got any tips or tutorials maybe?

Thanks in advance!

Chicago

Its not that hard I did it with my dmg, just place the jacks and the dpdt as so.

Your going to need to modify the casing by putting in the holes and removing the plastic power switch holder closest to the edge of the casing.
Also your going to need to cut up your front PCB, Be CAREFUL!

Thanks! I'll try it when I get my stuff!

Btw: where is your powerswitch? Or did you switch the plastic switch to a DPDT?

Chicago

The dpdt switch fits snugly in the faceplate portion of the case. The power switch is directly behind it where it normally is. I didn't have to modify the power switch, just removed one of the three plastic legs in the face half of the shell. Its kinda hard to explain but I could take a picture of it if you want.

If it's not too much to ask I'd love to see a picture!

Chicago

Cut your PCB accordingly as the red lines and my example show to allow room for the jacks and the dpdt switch. Don't cut off any little electric doo-dads, just the board.

Cut out the plastic leg thing outlined in red, try to make it as flush as possible with the inside walls of the casing. Just use an x-acto knife. This is where your switch will go. Also, the switch should be placed in so it flips horizontally otherwise the shell won't fit together like it use too.

Now as for the inverter board, I recommend placing the inverter board directly below the volume potentiometer, there is plenty of room in the highlighted area.

In the end you should get something that looks shockingly similar to this.

Thanks a lot for all the information!
I'll usethis for sure and if I run into any troubles, you'll here from me again (:

Thanks again!

Hey, I have a question!

Could you make a picture of the DPDT switch inside the Gameboy and how that is situated please?
I'm having trouble getting mine in.

Haven't ordered anything yet, just making the holes already wink

Thanks in advance!

matt's mind

^ this may also be an issue of the dimensions of the part, and not the hole placement.  your switch may have a larger base.

GoingHam, have a part# you're willing to share?

i'm just guessing thats part of the issue because a square/rectangular-bottom part is probably not placed with the bottom oriented diagonally, which leaves two ways it could be placed (just a 90 degree turn).  it would just matter which way you want the switch to flip, left-right or up-down.

a round-bottom part could be turned however you want, just depending on the way you want the switch to flip.

Chicago

I don't know the exact part #, but it is most likely this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index … erPage=60#

I honestly just went to radioshack and pulled out the switch drawers till I found the smallest dpdt silver bat switch I could find.

I'd take a picture of the switch in place but I'm kinda not opening this dmg until I get a part for it.

I decided to put the switch on the left side of the Gameboy case, it looks like it has a lot of space there on the top half shell...

Thanks for all the photo's and information!

Chicago

This is the exact switch I used.

GoingHam wrote:

This is the exact switch I used.

Hi,

One question, why do I need a DPDT switch to change the inversion when using a 74HC04 ic?, Why would not a SPST switch do the job?

Do you have a link or something I can use as a reference in order to understand how to connect the DPDT switch to the 74HC04 ic, basically I need to know how the connection goes?

Thanks