São Paulo, Brazil
an0va wrote:

Also, I just wish that I had access to an unlimited amount of traditional instruments and recording space where I could orchestrate Spaghetti Western-style music for the rest of my life.

I'm serious.

I bet you are. spaghetti ost's >>> chiptune.

Nashville, Tennessee
extreme zan-zan-zawa-veia wrote:

Anyone finding that there's a divide between your dream masterpiece and the musickal stuff you can actually muster?

i always wanted to be this beepy Art Bears type thing with some real singing but I tend to cop out into arcane noodling in the end. not many of the songs I've made really represent zer final vision as it stands.

then finish your songs, man. it's a process, just gotta do it.

art's not a factory floor process. you can betrayed by a tangent during its creation or have utterly misjudged what you wanted to do.

maybe OHCing is a factory floor process though

Nashville, Tennessee

no, but there are still a definite series of sequential steps you can take in the right direction, depending upon what it is you want to do. it's usually not too difficult to figure out what needs to be done next, whether it comes down to compositional changes or changes in the production process itself...

OHCing is definitely one tongue albeit a very creatively challenging and training one.

Westfield, NJ

totally forgot to mention, I tried making hip hop but it was like so out of my element, I just had no worthwhile ideas. I also want to learn some jazz theory / techniques so I can make my tracks sound more funky... I especially like stuff like KOAN Sound and I'd like to make some music in that vein, once I learn how.

Brunswick, GA USA
extreme zan-zan-zawa-veia wrote:

art's not a factory floor process. you can betrayed by a tangent during its creation or have utterly misjudged what you wanted to do.

That is precisely the struggle. If you get "too good" at the "brain to instrument" process your music will show that soulless, overpolished feel, but if you don't have enough experience at getting the sound you are looking for, you'll miss the mark.

I wish I was in Iron Maiden.

nashville,tn

jah of course, though the reasons change-the problem these days is limited resources for gear and time to compose. once it was limited knowledge musically. both of those can be overcome-lack of money for gear can be frustrating especially since a wish list will pile up-but the limitations really force you think about why said gear is important..and you might just figure out a new way to create the sounds you want, which is super cool. lack of musical training is relative and equally intimidating(especially since it can be a bit fetishy and one upish)-you only need to learn how to make the sounds in your head, trained technique can open you up to sounds not in your head, which has some merit-but then again so can listening to all kinds of music.
i think a third disconnect is the most frustrating, when the music you want to make is being made better by someone else already..no amount of external influence can solve that, it becomes an existential question with no right or wrong.

Brunswick, GA USA
sugar sk*-*lls wrote:

i think a third disconnect is the most frustrating, when the music you want to make is being made better by someone else already..no amount of external influence can solve that, it becomes an existential question with no right or wrong.

I relate, I had a teacher who insisted everyone should have a religion because you must believe that the God of your choice wants you to create as you do... though to me that's a bit simple to a fault, if it works, it works.

Godzilladelph

80% of the time i'm making the music i want to make. 20% of the time it's making me.

I still wish i could make italo-disco, though

Godzilladelph
Decktonic wrote:

totally forgot to mention, I tried making hip hop but it was like so out of my element, I just had no worthwhile ideas. I also want to learn some jazz theory / techniques so I can make my tracks sound more funky... I especially like stuff like KOAN Sound and I'd like to make some music in that vein, once I learn how.

dem triplets and dat swing

Madison, Alabama
SKGB wrote:

I still wish i could make italo-disco, though

Yeah, I know that feel.

Sweden
sugar sk*-*lls wrote:

jah of course, though the reasons change-the problem these days is limited resources for gear and time to compose.

I don't agree that limited resources for gear is a problem. For a computer owner, the amount of tools available to composers, producers and musicians *for free* is  closer to being overwhelming than a limiting scarcity.

The limitation in this case is probably the attitude of the producer. If you get stuck not being able to produce the music you want to produce, getting new expensive gear can seem like an easy way out, I guess. I don't mean to say that there aren't a lot of useful and innovative products that would surely ease your workflow, could you afford them, but don't be fooled by the illusion that you _need_ them to be productive, especially if you already own a computer.

As for limited time, if you have four hours of leisure time a day for a 70 year life (probably an underestimate if you don't end up having a baby every few years) you have more than a hundred thousand hours to spend on whatever you like. What you do in your free time is of course entirely up to you, but I can't really see how lack of it itself could be a problem for most people here. Agree with how you spend it or re-prioritize, because even a tenth of your total free time is more than enough to master a lot of things. The problem might simply be that you enjoy some other things a lot more than making music, and your dedication to music won't catch up with your aspirations. This is normal, and creating good music and developing musically is a frustrating experience for most people in many ways, even if it is ultimately rewarding.

nashville,tn
boomlinde wrote:
sugar sk*-*lls wrote:

jah of course, though the reasons change-the problem these days is limited resources for gear and time to compose.

I don't agree that limited resources for gear is a problem. For a computer owner, the amount of tools available to composers, producers and musicians *for free* is  closer to being overwhelming than a limiting scarcity.

The limitation in this case is probably the attitude of the producer. If you get stuck not being able to produce the music you want to produce, getting new expensive gear can seem like an easy way out, I guess. I don't mean to say that there aren't a lot of useful and innovative products that would surely ease your workflow, could you afford them, but don't be fooled by the illusion that you _need_ them to be productive, especially if you already own a computer.

As for limited time, if you have four hours of leisure time a day for a 70 year life (probably an underestimate if you don't end up having a baby every few years) you have more than a hundred thousand hours to spend on whatever you like. What you do in your free time is of course entirely up to you, but I can't really see how lack of it itself could be a problem for most people here. Agree with how you spend it or re-prioritize, because even a tenth of your total free time is more than enough to master a lot of things. The problem might simply be that you enjoy some other things a lot more than making music, and your dedication to music won't catch up with your aspirations. This is normal, and creating good music and developing musically is a frustrating experience for most people in many ways, even if it is ultimately rewarding.

ha thats assuming you own a computer to run said equipment, trust me- in this case, it is not the attitude of the producer, i have had a set up worth less than 1500 for ten years or so(instrument recording equip and all), i've done quite a lot with that mostly non-chip 15 albums or so of material, after a series of events my total set up is now worth about 300, there is quite a bit i've lost the ability to do. especially record at all. as for time, 4-6 hours of free time a day? lolz. full time job full time school family and domestic duties-an hour or so a day is mine-and yes i spend it on music and i know all about the 10,000 hour rule-which is what has kept me going,  but whatevs...i said those things are temporary hurdles that can make you more creative until they're overcome.....back to lurking it is

edit: i didnt make it clear in my post, that those are my problems now specifically-it reads like i mean for musicians in general...my bad for lack of clarity. hmm

Last edited by sugar sk*-*lls (Oct 15, 2012 10:53 pm)

montreal, qc

" There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated
through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all
time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through
any other medium and be lost. The world will not have it.

It is not your business to determine how good it is; nor how valuable
it is; nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business
to keep it yours, clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You
do not have to believe in yourself or your work.

You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you.
Keep the channel open.

No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatsoever at
anytime. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction; a blessed
unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the
others." - Martha Graham

Last edited by ilkae (Oct 16, 2012 1:36 am)

Nashville, Tennessee

lots of wise old folks in here. great stuff to think about.

chunter wrote:

If you get "too good" at the "brain to instrument" process your music will show that soulless, overpolished feel, but if you don't have enough experience at getting the sound you are looking for, you'll miss the mark.

i can definitely agree and relate to that line of thought.

ilkae wrote:

"It is not your business to determine how good it is; nor how valuable
it is; nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business
to keep it yours, clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You
do not have to believe in yourself or your work...

yes. absolutely yes.