New York City

Testing out ideas for something I am working on, I made this trainwrecked DJ set with 13 tracks in ~20 minutes playtime.

From the video description:
1x Amiga 600HD, 2MB Chip RAM running Protracker 2.3d.
1x A1200, 030@50Mhz, 2MB Chip RAM running Protracker 2.3d.
1x Akai MPD26 used as a controller for a mixing patch I made in Ableton, since I don't have a DJ mixer at the moment.

Suffice to say this shit was mighty hard, since I have to use a retarded mouse, point a tiny bit of screen on a tiny LCD screen and then it's not precise enough. So no hating on the problems beatmatching.

Next step will be to record a new one using a different version of ProTracker, and then it will be time to get busy with that sourcecode...

All your hatemail can be directed to ************

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 24, 2017 8:29 pm)

New York City

Can any mod move this to the right forum? Thanks.

Milwaukee, WI

This is very nice!  Get yourself some bigger screens.

New York City

Everybody has been paying too much attention to the screen. I don't need bigger screens, in an ideal scenario, when I finish my tool, I don't even need any screen. Think how STJ works on the Atari, it doesn't need any display.
The control method is not suited to do this so it is a pain in the asshole. Once that changes, everything should be pretty smooth.

Thanks for checking it out!

New York City

oh great.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 1, 2012 11:32 pm)

UK

There's some grooving tunes in this mix, enjoyed listening to it.

Last edited by CS (Sep 1, 2012 8:31 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

NICE VIDEO!

I'm glad to see someone else crazy enough to use the dual Amiga setup. I salute your general craziness. wink

There's one thing I should mention - it seems to be something of a recent discovery regarding the 1200/600 and MIDI sync, possibly just tempo sync in general.

The A1200 is (confirmed via various sync tests/configurations) to be off tempo by a fairly noticeable margin when compared to a 600. No matter what I or CCDM have tried, the 1200 *will* eventually lose sync, sometimes within seconds - and it only gets more problematic when doing software mixing via OSS/8ch mode/etc. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, check your PMs!

New York City

Hey TSC! Glad you dig! By the way, I rarely get here now so best way to contact me is by email, but I will check now the PM that just arrived.

I don't expect to have the two machines in tempo just because both say they are at the same BPM, even if I was playing the same tune in both. This is true of every machine, even synths, there are many factors that help to this and in the case of the Amiga since I have one running on a 00@7Mhz and the other running a 030@50Mhz, I expect to have discrepancies.

As for Protracker, it may depend on if you are using VBL or CIA replay method. I'd say both machines at CIA timing with the exact same display output (both at NTSC or PAL) should pretty much stay very close in sync if they are at exactly the same speed, but shit can go off. After all, Protracker performs ridiculously fast on accelerated machines in regards to some functions, because the software uses the CPU ticks to calculate some shit (key repeat rates for example).

The version I am using of Protracker now has serial link, so when I hit play in one machine, the second one plays too at exactly the same time. It was developed to make 8 track MODs using two machines. This is the best way to check sync, using the same module on both. But this is just because I am testing some things, I want to use the 2.X branch in my project. We've been working with Delek this weekend on a new version of ProTracker more suited to this task I am doing in the video and it's working spectacularly, so I will make a new video maybe next week (after I test this new buid of PT in my gig on Wednesday).

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 2, 2012 12:34 am)

Planet Zaxxon

THIS IS GREAT AKIRA.

Tokyo, Japan

Akira, what mixer are you going to use with this set up?

New York City

Anything a club has. At the moment, I lack funds to purchase anything.
Any 2channel DJ style mixer would work. Bonus if it has effects. I'd think a Pioneer DJM-400 would be ideal, or whatever the new version of that one is.

After the gig on Wednesday I'll make another video with my new custom Protracker (and paying more attention to which tracks I already played tongue) which should let me beatmatch a lot better.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 2, 2012 11:23 am)

New York City

I now got a proper DJ tool and can make a decent set. Here's a new video of it:

Turku, FIN

Akira is too cool. All the newbz freezez.

Austin, Texas

I am enjoying the shit out of this.

EDIT: Ah fuck, posted and reloaded the page as I was listening! sad

Last edited by Telerophon (Oct 20, 2012 3:58 pm)

Buenos Aires, Argentina

AWESUM!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

heart