Manchester, England

Basically, if anyone has pin point eyesight, have a look at this picture for a place of reference.

Due to on-stage sweat, I think, underneath the screen cover and I'm guessing underneath the screen is some water damage. I say some, yet my GB has been dead for a few months now. Was looking into finding myself a repairman for this length of time and nothing came of it. Even a few kushty lads in Stockport but no dice.

I'm wondering 2 things.

1. With it being modded with a backlight and audio jack upgrade, would it be possible for a repairman to even take out my screen and put in a new one?
2. Is it even repairable at all?

Cheers

I can repair it for you for pretty cheap. Although, I have serious doubts this is any issue related to water/sweat getting in through the screen cover. (Please don't prove me wrong)

Who modded it?

Last edited by Apeshit (Oct 20, 2012 3:08 am)

Everything is repairable... But it might be just one solder joint, or complete new internals, kinda hard to see from just a picture of the outside.

I don't know how much you sweat... Can't believe a gameboy goes completely bananas from a few drops...

You could put it in a bag of rice for a while, clear out the moisture.

Or send it to someone to get it fixed.
I'd do it for you, but I live in holland, so it might be cheaper to find someone in the uk..

Manchester, England

Yeah some guy near us in Stockport said he'd do it, but he said, and this is including without extra equipment, like £40 for it. So I'm kinda skeptical. I'll do the rice thing, I've heard that that also sorts out phone batteries that get dropped in puddles and stuff. Yeah thanks yeah I will try that.

And I shant prove you wrong mate, but yeah. Where abouts are you? And who do I use? Foolishly, DJ Transformer. And I know, I know, what a dickhead I am, but I have no money and he does stuff really cheap wah wah.

P.S. I do actually sweat alot so, for both of you, I could see it being the issue. I played with it live once then it broke. Ever since then, at all my shows I have to ask to borrow someone elses GB in advance.

I was being a little generous in my first post. I can guarantee you did not sweat your DMG to death. There's nowhere for the sweat to even get into the DMG. Very few electrical shorts will actually cause a DMG to fail, you could pour a bucket of water on a DMG with a game inserted, and it probably won't even turn off. The problem here lies with who you purchased it from.

If you're willing to send it to Canada, I'll take a look at it. Provided the mod work is salvageable, I might be able to repair it for free. My guess is the backlight wires have shorted out.

Manchester, England

Yeah, in all honesty, I suspected it was something to do with the LCD last night but didn't remember today until you just said that. Yeah, well he gets bad reviews all the time, it's just my past personal experience with him is very good. So, maybe it just caught up with it. Nah, I'll use that as my reasoning now  for when I ask someone else to repair it. Thanks anyway though mate, and thanks for the information.

Austin, Texas

Yeah, I have no personal experience with him, but I hear the talk.

It looks like he offers some cool stuff, I don't see a lot of people making some of the things he does; since I'm stateside, though, there's no reason for me to order from the UK.

Telerophon wrote:

I don't see a lot of people making some of the things he does

From what I've seen, everything he sells is someone else's work or someone else's idea with a much higher price tag. Like the video output he's trying to sell for $700 was already done by somebody else, but was supposed to be a $20 kit.

Also, can't forget this shameless rip off...

Austin, Texas

Ahhh, I didn't know that. sad

matt's mind

^ yes, that was disappointing...