Sweeeeeeden
ashimoke wrote:

Ok then. I always thought that the sound differences between DMG and MGB are caused by amps and other stuff and not by CPU. Guess there is no actual data on this anyway...

There is some data. For example, Herbert Weixelbaum's sound comparison.
http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm

There's also an interesting (though not 100% confirmed) theory about the DACs of Gameboys described in the GBSOUND document.

PARTIALLY VERIFIED:On older versions (pre-DMG-CPU-05?) of the DMG, the scale

of

the DAC used on the various channels is semi-logarithmic instead of truly

linear. Later Gameboy models (MGB,SGB,CGB,GBA) used either better pull-up

resistor/capacitor and/or analog output DACs, and are almost perfectly

linear.

(Thanks Jeff Frohwein)

Here are some scales for demonstration:

TRUE Logarithmic:

0---------------1--------------2-------------3------------4-----------5----------6---------7--------8-------9------A-----B----C---D--E-F

TRUE Linear:

0--------1--------2--------3--------4--------5--------6--------7--------8--------9--------A--------B--------C--------D--------E--------F

Semi-Logarithmic:

0-----------1-----------2-----------3----------4---------5---------6---------7--------8-------9-------A-------B------C-----D-----E-----F

DC

Im buying the DMG, then. It still fits in my hand, anyways, and most likely in my jacketbpocket too. I guess the pictures make it seem huge, but thats just an optical illusion.

Czech republic

I use MGB with LSDJ on smartboy cart and I really like it. It doesn't work well with my USB EMS (64) but I heard it works with later revisions. But this whole MGB vs. EMS story is kinda fuzzy so I don't know really.

DC

I thought the ems 64 was the latest. Isnt that the one sold in kitsch betns website?

DC

Is a smartboy cart different from the ems?

washington

I have a MGB that I backlit/prosounded. Running LSDJ, it kills batteries in 2-3 hours. Prosounding it takes away some of the 'fizziness', but there's still a nasty whine that's left. Sure, the screen has fabulous contrast, but it's not worth it in my opinion.

Get a DMG, there's a reason it's the most popular smile

Oh, and I think that everyone's referring to the same cartridge, this one.

DC

yeah that's what I thought.  DMG it is. I just need to wait until Thursday customs gets the colors i want XD

Cleveland, OH

I wouldn't knock the Pocket! The new version of the Smart Cart works great with an MGB. No dimming of the screen when you play a song and the battery life seems to be very normal.

DC

that depends, man. does your prosound mod make it sound like the DMG? and what about the processor? you're the manufacturer so i'll trust you.

washington
justinthursday wrote:

I wouldn't knock the Pocket! The new version of the Smart Cart works great with an MGB. No dimming of the screen when you play a song and the battery life seems to be very normal.

Whenever I start a song on my MGB, it makes the contrast go out of whack, and I have to adjust the contrast dial. Even with brand new batteries.

Cleveland, OH
DotMatrix wrote:

that depends, man. does your prosound mod make it sound like the DMG? and what about the processor? you're the manufacturer so i'll trust you.

No not quite but if you are using a mixer or recording software then you can just turn up the bass and what not. The difference isn't that dramatic I don't think.

basspuddle wrote:
justinthursday wrote:

Whenever I start a song on my MGB, it makes the contrast go out of whack, and I have to adjust the contrast dial. Even with brand new batteries.

Then you most likely don't have the newest version of the 64m smart cart.

washington
justinthursday wrote:

Then you most likely don't have the newest version of the 64m smart cart.

Maybe not. I only bought it about a month ago though.