Freiburg, Germany

Hello,

I've bought a used black DMG that I am prepared to mod (prosound and backlight). Unfortunately the on/off-switch is responsible for some weird scratching noise on the audio out (both speaker and headphones). Essentially when the on switch is all the way to the right there is occasional noise (like from turning a dusty potentiometer), even if the Game Boy lies flat and does not move. When i do not slide the switch all the way to the right, but just in between where it turns on the Game Boy and where it starts the scratchy sound, it stops. I've also made sure the volume pot is not responsible for the noise.

That means there has to be something wrong with the on-switch or a connection, since my other DMG (green) does not make these sounds.

Has anybody had this happen and can tell me what to do? I'll be slowly getting my parts to mod the Game Boy and when I have them all and I'm going to open it up I want to make sure I am also prepared for what I need to do to get rid of this scratching noise.

Thanks in advance
-- Peter

The Wild Wintery North

Have you tried opening it yet? It could be what you said, a loose wire. If you are going to mod it anyway, why not take a peek now? You might find other things inside the DMG. Just give it a try. As I said, it might be something really simple, but you won't know until you open it.

Freiburg, Germany

I don't have a tri-wing yet, so I can't open it just now, I just thought perhaps somebody knows the particular problem and can give me hints what to do, so that I have everything ready for fixing it when I open it for modding.

The Wild Wintery North

I have seen other people open the tri-wing with a small flat screwdriver. You could try that. Although it will probably strip the screw. Anyway. When you can, you should open it. I had a search and I can't find any other internet threads on this topic, so it is difficult to pinpoint this. I also am not much help with this anyway. I'm getting my first DMG in a couple of weeks, and I have never taken a look inside of one. Just remember that you may be sidetracked when trying to mod, due to problems you may face. It wouldn't hurt to spend some extra hours just sussing everything out, making sure that everything works properly.

Czech republic

Probably a loose wire or dust inside of the switch. Try turning it on and off many times (without batteries) and check if it changes somehow.

The Wild Wintery North

I have seen other people open the tri-wing with a small flat screwdriver. You could try that. Although it will probably strip the screw. Anyway. When you can, you should open it. I had a search and I can't find any other internet threads on this topic, so it is difficult to pinpoint this. I also am not much help with this anyway. I'm getting my first DMG in a couple of weeks, and I have never taken a look inside of one. Just remember that you may be sidetracked when trying to mod, due to problems you may face. It wouldn't hurt to spend some extra hours just sussing everything out, making sure that everything works properly.

Freiburg, Germany

ashimoke, thanks man! ... I feel somewhat stupid for not coming up with that. Flipping the switch quickly on and off without batteries indeed fixed it.

Austin, Texas

With the batteries removed, use high purity rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to get a few drops in the switch. Then, switch it back and forth a few dozen times.

That's a pretty MacGuyver way to clean switches; it's also how I clean potentiometers.

Last edited by Telerophon (Oct 22, 2012 7:17 pm)

Freiburg, Germany

I like that. Will definitely do that when I'm back home, just to make sure it won't happen again.