chiba, japan

Listen / Download in Bandcamp Here

Recently, I played Tokyo Blipfest 2012 in KOENJI HIGH along with a group of absolutely amazing chipartists. Originally this was the result of a bet with a good friend that a NES really can emit heavy reese growls without resorting to DPCM samples or direct PCM playback (in fact, the reese basses in the song were mainly created with the 2A03 pulsewave channels, despite the song also using VRC6 expansion smile ), but eventually this dub/bro style song was retrofitted specifically for this final blipfest. I was very happy with the crowd response of the song (and was even more happy that my friend on stage did such a good job rallying the crowd with me), but I was planning to just keep it within my library of live material and be done with it. But after tons of friends and acquaintances asking and begging (even one threatening!) for me to release it, I eventually decided it really would be the best thing to do so.

It's a 2-parter album single (in fact, the first part is the same denpa song featured in NO CARRIER's Tokyo Blipfestival 2010 Invite NES ROM!). The 2nd part is, of course, the dub drop.

It has a silly storyline to it, too. smile Its little jokes are heavily based off Japanese Akihabara otaku culture... which otherwise the story won't make much sense if you haven't experienced the culture firsthand. (for instance, the "Oishiku nare, moemoe kyun!" phrase repeated multiple times in this album, in particular, is a common phrase for maids to "bless your food to make it more tasty" in a cosplay cafe. Seriously, just go along with it. wink )

It's posted in bandcamp as a free / name-your-price deal. Hope you guys enjoy it!
Bandcamp page

Last edited by chibi-tech (Oct 27, 2012 12:53 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

During Chibitechs soundcheck, from left to right, Blasterhead, Nocarrier, Aliceffeckt, Cheapshot, Koenji high's (totally awesome) booker, Covox, Sulumi, (awesome) Sound guy, Luke chaos, another (awesome) sound tech stand gobsmacked.

After Chibitechs soundcheck everyone runs over "how the FUCK???"

Comment removed.

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 6:59 am)

Hungary

All day these two tracks will fucking listen! big_smile

Joliette, QC, Canada

Just listening to this since a day or 2....DAMN !
I knew you got really mad skills but this is just totally unbelievable ! Totally one of the best of 2012 !!! big_smile

Bronx, NY

The game done changed. OFFICIALLY.

Everyone, catch the fuck up if you can.

Milwaukee, WI

So good!!!

Those pictures are awesome lazerbeat.  haha

United Kingdom

Incredible sound synthesis.

buffalo, NY

So does it say "COME ON EVERYBODY" at the beginning?

ohio gozaimasu

WHAT THE FUCK

buffalo, NY
danimal cannon wrote:

So does it say "COME ON EVERYBODY" at the beginning of part II?

she wrote me on twitter and said

"t the very beginning! in this particular case, yes it's pretty much "well, let's go!" big_smile"

Brighton/Southampton

The pinnacle of NES technique, I think.

My brains.. they're everywhere!

Nashville, Tennessee

soooo gooood.

buffalo, NY
Fearofdark wrote:

The pinnacle of NES technique, I think.

My brains.. they're everywhere!

She applied a few techniques you tend to hear more often in modern Gameboy music, raspy vibrato on the pulse channels, I'm guessing a triangle kick using pitchbends, and noise percussion for cymbals and snare (as opposed to DPCM drums).  The VRC6 really gives the extra sound palette of saws and the polyphony needed to really make it lush sounding.   It essentially sounds like what Zef would do if he got into extended NES sounds.

California

Holy crap

Melbourne, Australia

what. the. fuck.