kelso washington

i have recently bought a gameboy color and i had forgoten the one problem with it. no backlight. i understand you can destroy a gameboy sp but who want s to do that. is there any other way i can give my gameboy color a backlight?

Maybe settle for a lightboy?

Austin, Texas

You have to frontlight them.

The most common method is to use the frontlight out of a broken AGS-001 Game Boy Advance SP.

If you can't find a broken one, or don't want to gut a GBA SP at all, maybe you could find an Afterburner kit for the original Game Boy Advance.

That said, I don't know where to get those anymore, and I haven't done this mod before, but maybe that information can help you.

kelso washington

i didnt want to gut my gameboy

Austin, Texas

Yeah, the best is to look for a broken one on eBay or Craigslist.

That said, this is a pretty involved mod and probably isn't well suited for a beginner. Proceed at your own risk.

Czech republic

Sell CGB -> buy DMG -> get it backlit.

matt's mind

edited the title of thread for clarity

Hungary

To the point! I laughed! : D

Austin, Texas

In defense of the CGB, the Game Boy Color is really a different device. It's a more powerful computer with a few more capabilities, so if you're using it for your project, it should be because you want to use it specifically. Game Boys aren't expensive enough, even modified, to create a situation where you have to choose one over the other forever.

Also, the GBA runs pretty much exactly like a color, so you can always use a GBA SP for tracking or whatever extended use activity you'd like, and then just use a Color (pro-sound or not) to record.

Last edited by Telerophon (Oct 27, 2012 11:03 pm)

Telerophon wrote:

In defense of the CGB, the Game Boy Color is really a different device. It's a more powerful computer with a few more capabilities, so if you're using it for your project, it should be because you want to use it specifically. Game Boys aren't expensive enough, even modified, to create a situation where you have to choose one over the other forever.

Also, the GBA runs pretty much exactly like a color, so you can always use a GBA SP for tracking or whatever extended use activity you'd like, and then just use a Color (pro-sound or not) to record.

Using a GBA SP would be way better if it had a headphone jack. Also, the cgb loads songs way faster and has more battery life, but the sound is different too.