Freiburg, Germany

Hi people,

I've heard that there is a white Game Boy Play it Loud version with black buttons and print which is super rare... and blue is supposed to be hard to get, too... and that got me thinking.

Is there a ranking how rare certain colors of the DMG are? (including the original grey one)
I'd love to know which ones would be a must get if I see them on a flea market and also which one of the ones I own would be the least rare to destroy when I start modding the case and mess up.

New York

As far as I know

Grey    <---least rare
Yellow
Red
Green
Clear
Black  <---most rare

Madriz, Supain

nay

Blue and white are the most rare, black and clear are scarce due to love of them, but theyre definetely not as rare. I hope someone comes with official numbers.

New York
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

nay

Blue and white are the most rare, black and clear are scarce due to love of them, but theyre definetely not as rare. I hope someone comes with official numbers.

huh i didn't even know there were white ones. I forgot about blue, but yeah, those are really rare

Last edited by Parallelis (Oct 28, 2012 8:25 pm)

Madriz, Supain

If I recall properly, white was japan only and blue europe. I remember blue was pretty common when i was a kid among my friends.. but whatever

Hungary

Such a list would be interested in me. I'm just one of those but not including the rarities. It's not even all.
http://www.pbase.com/annierat1/gameboys

Freiburg, Germany

I've just stumbled across the synthboy+ kickstarter page http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/763704741/synthboy which lists differently colored game boys at different pledge levels. If this can be trusted a possible ranking would be:

grey <-- easy to find
--------
green <-- harder to find
yellow
red
--------
clear <-- yet harder to find
black

which would be similar to what parallelis said.
not listed on there:

blue <-- I guess even rarer than the others
--------
white <-- I know these are near impossible to get

edit: actually added link to kickstarter page

Last edited by lastfuture (Oct 28, 2012 9:00 pm)

buffalo, NY

Europe and Japan had both white and blue I believe, I bought my whiteboy from Germany

.FILTHadelphia

Spray paint is pretty common.

Tulsa, OK

I didn't know there was a green one! And it's not even super rare.

I'm surprised the clear is rarer than red. I'm not an expert, I just see a lot more clear DMGs

Freiburg, Germany

I have grey, green and black and now I know I'll definitely try my first case mod on the grey one. I think black looks really slick, no wonder it's scarce

Orlando, Florida

I was also interested in knowing this.  Now what I'm not sure about is actual monetary value.  I know that <$20 is a good deal on a regular greyboy, though I got my greenboy (with a game) from craigslist for $15.  It does seem that clear and black are significantly more expensive with prices above $40 and often $60 on eBay, which seems completely ridiculous for a 20+ year old, common as hell game console; regardless of the color.  I've never seen blue or white dmgs, so I do believe they're very rare, at least stateside.

Cleveland, OH
lastfuture wrote:

I've just stumbled across the synthboy+ kickstarter page http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/763704741/synthboy which lists differently colored game boys at different pledge levels. If this can be trusted a possible ranking would be:

grey <-- easy to find
--------
green <-- harder to find
yellow
red
--------
clear <-- yet harder to find
black

which would be similar to what parallelis said.
not listed on there:

blue <-- I guess even rarer than the others
--------
white <-- I know these are near impossible to get

edit: actually added link to kickstarter page

This is fairly accurate just from my own experience.
I would say yellow is more rare than green and red. But black is far more rare than clear.

Fargo, ND.

I've come across black dmgs (in person) more often than any other color, of course with the exception of gray. I've seen/bought one green and one red, but I've seen three or four black ones, of which my friend bought two. Before I was into collecting, I had seen one clear as well, and I wish I would've picked it up. I think it was like $8 and in fairly nice condition, too. sad still haven't seen yellow!

Playboy Man-Baby
Poseidon wrote:

I've come across black dmgs (in person) more often than any other color, of course with the exception of gray. I've seen/bought one green and one red, but I've seen three or four black ones, of which my friend bought two. Before I was into collecting, I had seen one clear as well, and I wish I would've picked it up. I think it was like $8 and in fairly nice condition, too. sad still haven't seen yellow!

I was given the option of a clear or a yellow DMG by a friend a few years back. I took the yellow.

Cleveland, OH
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

I was given the option of a clear or a yellow DMG by a friend a few years back. I took the yellow.

That's because yellow looks much nicer wink