Gothenburg, Sweden

Hey guys,
I have an idea I want to realize for a project. Would be greatful for any tips or leads on this.
Basically I want (ideally) a DMG to act as a MIDI controller to send MIDI DATA (not sync, just note data for each different button) to external gear via MIDI OUT. Is there any software made for this purpose, or would it be possible to write it? I'm building an Arduinoboy right now.
Thanks,
z

hardcore, Australia

Is there any reason it needs to be a gameboy? Could you just gut one and place buttons/knobs in the shell with a teensy/arduino?

Gothenburg, Sweden

Thanks, I suppose that could be an option. It's for an art installation where i have a good ol' DMG in mind

new jersey

If this doesn't need to be particularly practical, you could take a midi keyboard and wire it's individual keys to the buttons of a few gameboys. You might even be able to piggy back the tactile switches on the gameboy boards and let people play tetris or something and generate music at the same time!

Unsubscribe

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3911/ … sequencer/

babylon

http://rhinoplex.org/8cylinder/

i remember wanting to build a cable to try faderfox jr. which turned your gb into a faderfox midi controller for audio programs. but it used a pc linker cable then a program in windows fucked with what it was receiving. not sure if thats really similar or not.

Unsubscribe

another idea is to use something like muddygb with a pitch to midi converter made by someone like the one by sonuus.

Czech republic

Just wire the DMG buttons to arduino or picaxe or something. This should help you with the picaxe code - it is the cheapest solution. Be sure to read something on how the switches are actually made/wired.

This indeed.

Although it's not the same as TS meant, but it works so awesomely.
Just use lsdj as a midi sequencer.

I used it to make a song with a gameboy and a fm synth combined. Works like a charm.

Czech republic

Midiout is great but not really what he needs.

ashimoke wrote:

Midiout is great but not really what he needs.

I know. Just wanted to confirm it's awesome tongue

Best option i can think of is just hardwire the buttons to an arduino...

Freiburg, Germany

I think it could also be worth looking for small external number pads... the Game Boy has 8 buttons, a number pad usually has significantly more keys. If you wire the buttons to the numbers 1 through 8 on the number pad's PCB and map those keys to notes in software this could be your easiest way out. The PCBs of those are likely to fit in a DMG and there are even wireless ones using a USB dongle.

Unsubscribe
herr_prof wrote:

another idea is to use something like muddygb with a pitch to midi converter made by someone like the one by sonuus.

now with links now im at a real computer:

http://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m.html

This tracks fairly ok on my gameboy.

rochester, ny
zabutom wrote:

Hey guys,
I have an idea I want to realize for a project. Would be greatful for any tips or leads on this.
Basically I want (ideally) a DMG to act as a MIDI controller to send MIDI DATA (not sync, just note data for each different button) to external gear via MIDI OUT. Is there any software made for this purpose, or would it be possible to write it? I'm building an Arduinoboy right now.
Thanks,
z

i think this would actually be really simple if you looked at the mgb and arduinoboy code.

Gothenburg, Sweden
nickmaynard wrote:
zabutom wrote:

Hey guys,
Thanks,
z

i think this would actually be really simple if you looked at the mgb and arduinoboy code.

That depends if i can get someone to help me since I don't do coding myself. Are they both Open Source?
Thanks so much everyone for the very useful and informative feedback!

rochester, ny
zabutom wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

That depends if i can get someone to help me since I don't do coding myself. Are they both Open Source?
Thanks so much everyone for the very useful and informative feedback!

i think the code is available, yeah.

you could also email trash80 and see if he might write the code for you for cash. it'd be pretty simple to do, so maybe he'd be into doing it for a reasonable rate?