Hello im new here and i really want to make some bleep bloops but all i have is a DS lite, so how would i go on using LSDJ on it? Eventually ill get an actual Gameboy but for now i dont have much money.

Riverside, CA

-Flash card (Acekard 2i, R4, etc). Acekard's are usually $12-15
-lameboy (Game Boy emulator for the DS)
-LSDj ROM (By donating to Johan)

Be aware though, the wave channel sounds like ass and the noise channel is also a bit wonky in Lameboy.

Hungary

Lameboy bit wonky? Not even a little. With this method, so it could work. But I tried si or 4 different cards and I can not. The thing is that when the music stops the freeze where you held your voice. And I can not stop it. Someone did it work properly?

Freiburg, Germany

Instead of buying the Card for 1215 bucks it would probably be cheaper getting a real Game Boy right away.

The Wild Wintery North

I'm using LSDJ on the DS Lite. It works fine, doesn't sound as good, but it works properly (although sometimes I have to press the L bumper to stop the tune after pressing start). Honestly, it's a good start before you get your proper DMG. I am actually waiting for my first to arrive. But anyway. The Silph Scope is right. I'm using an r4 because I bought one to use with roms. My cousin sent me LameBoy and I'm now using LSDJ with it. It's doable. PM me and I can send you LameBoy.

babylon

like they said it can be done, but i cant understand needing to be handheld so bad that you wouldnt use the computer you typed this thread on to emulate lsdj before your ds. my suggestion is to download bgb for your computer and the lsdj rom, then check your local craigslist/flea market for any type of cheap gb before using your ds. now . . . if you have a slot 1 flashcart there are some pretty awesome music programs for ds that arent lsdj (korg series, nitro tracker,etc.)

walter b. gentle wrote:

like they said it can be done, but i cant understand needing to be handheld so bad that you wouldnt use the computer you typed this thread on to emulate lsdj before your ds. my suggestion is to download bgb for your computer and the lsdj rom, then check your local craigslist/flea market for any type of cheap gb before using your ds. now . . . if you have a slot 1 flashcart there are some pretty awesome music programs for ds that arent lsdj (korg series, nitro tracker,etc.)

well i dont really want to do it when im at home thats the thing, I play guitar so when Im at home I just play on that, I want something on the go. So where exactly could i get a flash card? Can i buy it in a store or is only online?

Orlando, Florida
juice0123 wrote:

Can i buy it in a store or is only online?

No, you cannot buy flashcarts at a store (at least in the US)! Not to be unhelpful, but this is something a 1-second google search could find out.  If you want more information on specific flashcarts, I recommend browsing the forums on gbatemp.net.  These DS flashcarts will run you between US$15-40 and In my opinion, Acekard and R4 are the best (I have an Acekard).

However, if you're serious about this, I'd get a used gameboy (ORIGINAL DMG, not COLOR, not Gameboy Advance, not POCKET) and a gameboy EMS flash cart (nonelectronics or kitsch-bent sells them) and the whole thing should not run you far over $60.  Less if you find one used at a garage sale or on craigslist (pro-tip: make sure the screens don't show vertical lines)  I was mildly interested in LSDJ at first, but when I got my hands on the actual hardware, it became a passionate hobby.

If you are not sure yet, I highly recommend getting an LSDJ license and running an emulator off of your computer.  It will only set you back $2 and you can start learning right away.  If you find out it's not your thing, big whoop you lost two bucks.

I personally don't recommend going the DS flashcard route, as when I did it a while ago, the emulation was god-awful for me and ended up in only turning me off from the program altogether.  If you already had the flashcart, then it might make sense to try it out.  But going out of your way to get it specifically for LSDj is just a bad decision.  It's like buying a little tykes toy piano instead of a real keyboard to practice playing piano on.

Last edited by Mr.Ratburn (Oct 31, 2012 12:12 am)

matt's mind

i have one remaining acekard left, its here:

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/utilities

if you get it, go back to that link and add your shipping too, it isn't calculated in from that page