sweden

Hi!

Is there any difference between them? Have anyone analyzed and compared the two of them against each other?

I'm just curious.

// nordloef

SF

/me is also curious!

Singapore

sounds the same to me big_smile

BK

I THINK that one that's post pot allows you to use the pot to adjust volume, while one that's post pot does not. I got one post pot from someone a while back and turning the pot made no difference in volume at all.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
Kris k wrote:

I THINK that one that's post pot allows you to use the pot to adjust volume, while one that's post pot does not. I got one post pot from someone a while back and turning the pot made no difference in volume at all.

I think this question is more concerning the idea that bypassing the pot may increase the clarity of the audio even more than a post-pot mod.

Theoretically it should offer a clearer sound, but the difference would be negligible in the end. It is kinda cool if you run your gear through a console to be able to keep you speaker in tact and turn it down with the pot, but keep level through the house... but I mean, it has its downfalls too.

Melbourne, Australia

Made a difference on one of my gameboy colors. When the volume pot was turned up full one side was way less quiet, but if I moved it around to just the right position then both side where the same volume. Pre-pot made it all good though smile

the pot on the gameboy breaks, there are lots of gameboys out there where the wipers on the pot are damaged and it effects sound, which is why i always go pre pot.

Philly, PA, USA

I have one output go after the pot, and one coming before the pot, because if i'm writing with headphones on, it can be too loud sometimes, but I just like that you can't accidentally bump the volume control or whatever

Ciudad de méxico, MX

i think bypassing the pot is louder than using the pot for line output mod. Plus, the potentiometer is really shitty on the DMG and you can't trust on it. there's even another way, running direct from the capacitors, sounds really weird, but interesting on it's own way. and really loud.

Austin, Texas

Super thread necromancy here, but I have new information:

I just finished doing my personal CGBs, and I did two of them as post-pot and one as pre-pot.

I think the pre-pot one sounds noticeably better, and has less audible hum from the machine than my other pre-pot CGBs.

Kris k wrote:

I THINK that one that's post pot allows you to use the pot to adjust volume, while one that's pre pot does not.

Theoretically, this would just affect preamp gain, like a passive volume knob on an electric guitar. Right?

So, it's cool in some regards, you could use it to balance between two synced game boys or something if there was an issue with mismatched outputs from the two game boys. However, I'd rather do all of that balancing on the mixer, the soundboard, or the amp receiving the game boy's output.

Now that I've seen the light, though, I think I'm virtually always going to go pre-pot.

Tokyo, Japan

Any audio samples?

Austin, Texas

I'll try to record some, but I don't have the best recording setup at the moment. I hope that won't render them useless.

Anyway, I'll piece something together in Audacity real quick.

Austin, Texas

Alright, here we are…

These don't sound as good as I'd hope. All of my game boys generate noise that isn't isolated by the pro-sound mod, and Audacity picks it up pretty well. I can hear it in my headphones, but usually not in stereo equipment. It sounds a lot worse in these recordings than it does in real life. Anyway, these are noisy samples, and I didn't attempt to remove the noise in Audacity later. I'm not sure if the hum is just a CGB thing or what. I think all of my game boys do it.

Regardless, here are my samples:

CGB through Headphone Jack

CGB through Post-Pot Pro-Sound

CGB through Pre-Pot Pro-Sound

In conclusion, the difference is apparently minute to negligible, assuming you remember to roll your volume pot into the lowest resistance position whenever you use the pro-sound jack in a Post-Pot installation. I can't really hear the difference in these samples.

The hum problem seems the same, I guess I got myself with the placebo effect there.

That said, I still think pre-pot is the way to go: It removes a variable one could overlook in performing or recording where one could forget to roll the pot to zero resistance, or hit it on accident in the middle of something. It also lets you leave the volume for the speaker and headphone amp at the level you normally would without having to change the adjustment for recording or performance.

Chicago

Here is my little 30 second or so sample comparison:
1/8", Full Volume, Wired to PostPot, Stock Jack, Prosound
1/4", Pretpot @ 0 Volume

The 1/4" is wired to these points:

Where as the 1/8" is just wired to the normal Right & Left out.

As mentioned earlier, I very much like to use the 1/8" for composing and use 1/4" for recordings.

If anyone wants to get audiophile geeky here is a visual comparison of a wave from FLACs:

Edit: Hardware - DMG01_CPU_06

Last edited by GoingHam (Jul 19, 2012 10:39 pm)