Liverpool, UK

Basically what the title said. I've used noise kicks and snares on some tracks, and now they sound all wussy, and not all super manly like they originally were. Is there anyway I can restore the rugged manliness of my top kicks?

Instrument for kicks is

Env: A8
Output LR
Length UNLIM
Shape FF

Automate OFF

Table

TSP/CMD CMD
FFCFF CFF
FECFF CFF
FFCFF CFF

(then a K command later on)

Last edited by calmdownkidder (Sep 30, 2012 10:57 pm)

vancouver, canada

might have to do with using the TSP column to modulate your noise?  my understanding is that using TSP to alter noise pitch/type can sometimes cause weird wrapping of byte values, thereby causing the noise to sound different or to not fire at all.  in more recent versions it's been recommended to use the S command to adjust the noise pitch/type.

someone please tell me if i totally butchered the above description, i'd love to know.

Last edited by bryface (Sep 30, 2012 11:07 pm)

Philly, PA, USA

There was a somewhat big change in how lsdj handles tsp on the noise channel in the jump from 3.9 to 4.0 it's pretty well documented i think

but i'm pretty sure if you just move all of your tsp values to instead be S commands it'll work

I also haven't used lsdj in like a year really so who knows what i'm saying

Last edited by pixls (Sep 30, 2012 11:10 pm)

hardcore, Australia

Isn't there an option somewhere to use old noise values instead of new?

Chicago IL

in the noise instrument screen, change S.CMD from FREE to STABLE (or vise versa, can't remember which is which)

edit: i'm using 4.6.7, 4.6.8 might not have it, since you didn't list it with the other stuff in the first post

Last edited by Saskrotch (Sep 30, 2012 11:34 pm)

Unsubscribe

stable is the "fixed" (wussy) version.

Madison, Alabama

I'm still using 3.9.2 for noise channel reasons actually.

What's the advantage of upgrading?

BK

i'm in the same boat as roboctopus, 3.9.9.

Unsubscribe

cpu optimizations mostly. Projects seem more stable. Bunch of random changes that don't really make it better, just different.

http://www.littlesounddj.com/lsd/latest/CHANGELOG

Liverpool, UK

I wanted to upgrade as afaik the new versions are more compatible with ArduinoBoys, which I'd like to explore in the future.

(Also, the S.CMD doesn't seem to affect the noise kick in any way)

I might leave it then, at least until I figure out how to make the noise kicks not suck.

Unsubscribe

well the midi version is something like 4.0.1.. i think later versions mightve actually broken the keyboard stuff that aboy uses.

Liverpool, UK

I've changed the Shape to "D0" - that makes it sound more like the older kicks (note - I use noise and Pulse kick)

So uh I guess that sort of works.

.FILTHadelphia

Oh god. I need to upgrade.

Los Angeles, CA

Oh.
Well then. That explains that.
I hadn't updated my version since I first got it about 6 years ago.
Kinda don't feel like re-programming noise tables on songs I've already finished and just want to play live.....

buffalo, NY
calmdownkidder wrote:

I might leave it then, at least until I figure out how to make the noise kicks not suck.

Good luck with that