Murcia, Spain

Hello everyone!

I followed the archifamous tutorial of how to put an SP frontlight to a Color Game Boy:
http://www.choochoobot.com/builds/gameb … d-001.html

and actually got it to work, but my problem is that although the screen does iluminate, it's impossible to see anything unless there's a light directed to it (just as if there was not a frontlight...). In the dark it's completely impossible to see anything on the screen, although, I repeat, the frontlight DOES light up.
I read that someone had a similar issue and the author of the tutorial suggested to flip the screen. I tried this, but same thing still happens, and actually makes no sense, since I followed the tutorial indications on how to place the screen with the proper facing (although I have not been able yet to figure where is the "Beveled side" that the picture points).

Has anyone had the same issue and found a good solution?
Now that I've written I'll ask something else: The frontlight is quite dirty, not with fingerprints but with residues derived from the unassembly from the SP and a try I gave it with rubbing alcohol. How could I leave it plain clean?

Thank you in advance.

Sounds like you put it in backwards and the light is shining away from the screen. The frontlight is probably destroyed from the rubbing alcohol anyway. Those panels can't get any artifacts or solutions on them.

Did you put an anti reflective film over the GBC screen? If not then maybe try that

Murcia, Spain

@Apeshit I do have tried to flip it, but that not might be the thing, since it keeps happening. Sure of that? What a mess I've done then...
@Old Beezy I haven't. What's that? Anyway will that solve my problem? When in the dark, the screen is seen completely black, although lighted...

It's the stuff they use for smartphone screen covers. Some guy that did a GBA frontlight mod recommended using one. I've done the GBC mod with one and it's nice.

Gotta say that from what you say it sounds like it's more than just that, I posted pretty much the same time as APEshit so hadn't read his post before replying...

Murcia, Spain

So it seems that my only chance is trying with another SP frontlight... and see if it's just that I destroyed mine or something else... Thanks for the help guys!

Murcia, Spain

I'm reviving this thread, again asking for help. I got another SP and retried the mod. This time I was extra careful with the frontlight, and gently put it inside the Game Boy. I also changed the old ribbon connector so I could say the whole frontlight set is new. What is my surprise when I close the CGB and find the same keeps happening! I tried to turn it around and then it's too bright to see (how it should be, from what I've read).
How can it be that it still is too dark to see properly now? Could it be a question of the wiring? I used thin wires from an old RJ-45 cable I think.
I'm quite desperate now XD

Last edited by DogTag (Nov 14, 2012 3:58 pm)

Murcia, Spain

Here's a pic of how it looks like:

In reality it's a bit darker and those weird lines on the right are not happening really.

Last edited by DogTag (Nov 14, 2012 6:50 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

Yikes... in the interim, do any of the different LSDJ color schemes help with your readability issues?

Murcia, Spain

Nope, LSDJ is almost invisible there xD

The Wild Wintery North

Well that sucks monkey balls. Is there maybe some form of filter that you could place over it to make the backlight darker?

Murcia, Spain

It's dark already, the problem is that it is illuminated, but you can't really see anything on the screen...

Jyväskylä, Finland

Do you have an antireflective film on it?
E: grammatic error

Last edited by Pale (Nov 14, 2012 9:22 pm)

Murcia, Spain
Pale wrote:

Nope.... They've told me about it here already, but how am I sure it'll do any good? Where can I get it? I've heard that the main problem with that are bubbles when you put it... -.-
If I try it, is it possible to remove it?

Jyväskylä, Finland
DogTag wrote:
Pale wrote:

Nope.... They've told me about it here already, but how am I sure it'll do any good? Where can I get it? I've heard that the main problem with that are bubbles when you put it... -.-
If I try it, is it possible to remove it?

AR film reduces the glare (what your GBC is probably suffering), and you should be able to get it for example from eBay. And you shouldn't get bubbles if you put it on the clear surface and be very careful. smile
If you try it and it fails, you should be able to take it off. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Pale (Nov 14, 2012 9:49 pm)

Murcia, Spain

Hmmmm. And that is sticked to the LCD or frontlight? (I think LCD : S)
Which type should I get? I have no idea of what I'm loking for really xD It seems that whatever I get, I'll have to cut it to fit the size of the GB.