EDIT: This project is underway and can be followed here.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/15355 … d-tracker/

Thanks everyone for your support so far!

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Oct 27, 2014 5:06 am)

Buenos Aires, Argentina

I don't like to make music directly on a console, I did some test for the Genesis with various interfaces, but, for me, the workflow never can be compared to a PC with his mouse and a keyboard. Even the original soundtracks for the Genesis (and almost all consoles) actually were coded using a computer and, later, downloaded to the machine. However, if you have some demand about this and you finish this, I will be very interested in adding support for output files/something from DefleMask to your native tracker.

Regards.

Delek wrote:

I don't like to make music directly on a console, I did some test for the Genesis with various interfaces, but, for me, the workflow never can be compared to a PC with his mouse and a keyboard. Even the original soundtracks for the Genesis (and almost all consoles) actually were coded using a computer and, later, downloaded to the machine. However, if you have some demand about this and you finish this, I will be very interested in adding support for output files/something from DefleMask to your native tracker.

Regards.

Delek, wow I totally forgot about DefleMask. But as a matter of fact I agree with you 100%. It's highly unlikely that composing on a console can be made to be nearly as efficient as on PC. Personally, I can write music a lot faster on PC based DAW's than on any tracker (console or PC based) as an example. However I find that there's a certain quality that's difficult to describe in words that comes with console based trackers, that just contrasts nicely with the usual composing on PC. You might say that it's for the novelty of it all. Either way, there's a natural progression to things... the older NES and Gameboy has their native trackers. The GBA has it's trackers on the way (hopefully), it's time a project has begun for the Sega Genesis because if I don't do it, someone else will.

Thank you for your feedback and support, I appreciate it. Speaking of which, I just tried DefleMask a few days ago, and I really liked the presentation and the interface, a job well done.

I can see a lot of potential in something like this.

There is a mouse for the Genesis that could be a cool implementation if you choose not to make a tracker. Could be cool either way if done well.

BOSTON

i just want to chime in as a contrary opinion to the others: I really enjoy writing with handhelds, so a LSDJ format genesis tracker would be very welcome to meeee. One thing that that format does better than anything else is "live mode", so an FM implementation of that kind of interface would be mega mega mega awesome. like potentially game changing if done well. I would grab a nomad for it in a second and jam FM funk. GOOD LUCK HELL YES

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Nov 16, 2012 6:17 am)

babylon

hells yeah. if your trying to drum up support then by god you have mine. as far as the interface i personally see no shame in going the lgpt/pulsar route and using lsdj as the main inspiration. it just feels the most "right" to me when tracking with a controller set up. i imagine being able to implement cool workflow shortcuts and stuff with the six button configuration. like bright primate said the live aspect of using hardware is much more appealing to me then say using one of the pc tools and throwing the track on an everdrive ( i think thats what people do?) but yeah, if this is for real then the sega fan boy in me is drooling.

@ BR1GHT PR1MATE - Well if the LSDJ standard is used... then live mode is a must. I had also thought to myself that if there was ever a native tracker for the Genesis, I would definitely be getting a Nomad. smile

@ walter b. gentl - I'll appreciate all the support I can get. I don't want this to be another M4G Tracker experience... although I really hope to see that project completed. Also I totally forgot about the 6 button gamepads, that's a very good point. I'm also interested in the possibility of making the tracker compatible with little scale's GenMDM MIDI interface, this would make both the tracker and the interface, a very useful and fun combination, and likely garner more attention from the chiptune community. But yes, this concept is very real, and if enough support and ideas come in, we can move into the planning phase.

That mouse idea is interesting as well, I never knew such a thing existed for the Genesis.

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Oct 25, 2014 12:22 am)

Dublin, Ireland

Wow... GenMDM shipping out and now this pops up, exciting times for the Mega Drive. smile

1)  I'd only really be interested in a native tracker if it had a decent element of live interaction so perhaps an LSDJ-like interface or something more unique if there's a better way to use the controller interface that you or others can come up with? Being able to track effectively on a nomad would be great too.

Also for efficiency, perhaps partnering it with a PC tracker tool would be an interesting idea so one could compose on the easier keyboard interface and then transfer to the native version for playback and live manipulation? Delek's offer could be a good thing to look into, but I guess it depends how it would integrate with the native tracker's functions.

2)  MIDI support of some kind would be excellent, even just for sync and triggering patterns/looping, etc. (If the GenMDM can be used for this, all the better as I have one on the way XD).

3) Doesn't really effect me, but I imagine it could pretty useful for some I suppose.

Last edited by iNFOTOXIN (Nov 16, 2012 4:41 pm)

Canada

I personally enjoy tracking on a PC/MAC then transferring it using an everdrive or something. You're going to have to use the everdrive to use the tracker ROM anyhow... might as well have more functionality.

Delek has a great point. Maybe you can compose a tune on the PC/MAC then export it to a file (say in DefleMask), then transfer it to your new sega-based tracker and BAM! Live mode and your PC creation.

Also, handheld FM O_O
What's this world coming too?
I'm so excited for it.

Unsubscribe

or maybe make some sorta of data cable that you can track on the pc and playback on hardware?

Buenos Aires, Argentina

I don't have money to buy the GenMDM but if I can get one, DefleMask will for sure be dinamically connected to the Genesis using Midi Out with GenMDM.

Nottingham, UK

If you have a simple way of utilising samples, a live mode and way to sync to a midi clock, this would definately be bad-ass.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Nov 16, 2012 5:08 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa
herr_prof wrote:

or maybe make some sorta of data cable that you can track on the pc and playback on hardware?

i saw one of this for genesis. someone made it 8bc. it runs on DOS. but was never released. that is a better idea than a native track i think (a genesis + monitor is bigger than a pc and with a worse UI, worst of both worlds imo (although i TOTALLY can see the attraction of working with old stuff and turning the PC off for once) )

Riverside, CA

I would definitely use it. If there were an LSDJ-style tracker that I could use on my Nomad, I would be in heaven.
Although I'm not sure (haven't looked recently because lolnomoney) what the status is on a PowerPak equivalent for the Genesis...
But if there is one, and this were to happen, I wouldn't find a way to get it.

CountSymphoniC wrote:

I really want this to be an open source community based project

Nice.
DefleMask being closed source is pretty much the only thing stopping me from using it.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

So what do you use to make Genesis music, Silph Scope?, all the trackers for SEGA Genesis are closed source, do you code Z80/M68000 directly to make your music? Or you simply don't make Genesis tracks because there's no Open Source program?

Last edited by Delek (Nov 16, 2012 7:46 pm)

Riverside, CA
Delek wrote:

So what do you use to make Genesis music, Silph Scope?, all the trackers for SEGA Genesis are closed source, do you code Z80/M68000 directly to make your music? Or you simply don't make Genesis tracks because there's no Open Source program?

The latter.