The Wild Wintery North
Victory Road wrote:

the thing about releasing or performing covers in general is that you have to treat the original with respect and really do it justice or people are just going to shit on you.

He has a point... In my view, the best way to start out is to create shitty but original tunes. Like I'm no Sabrepulse, but there is a definite improvement in my tunes from when I started and now. Really, get an emulator (VBA, BGB, etc) and use LSDJ with it. I started (and am currently using *grr*) with LameBoy (emulator) with my R4. LSDJ is what I am using with it. I began my chiptunes by compiling random notes together and attempting to make something out of them. I know. A crappy way to do it. But I figured most stuff out with minimal help (save LSDJ manual and my cousin). Really, original tunes are the way to go, as you can see how you're improving, and you won't piss off people with bad covers.

Last edited by Goughy (Nov 15, 2012 9:41 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

Fwiw there's nothing wrong with making covers as practice with no intent to release them.

Thanks. I'll keep all that in mind.

Chicago IL

my CC is that you should change your name, because I didn't listen to this track, because of your name

Chicago IL, USA

I second (third? fourth? how many of you suggested it?) getting Chipsounds. Best plugin ever.

I also checked out your Face to Face remix. dude use more than 3 instruments. you have no hardware limitations like everyone who uses a real gameboy/nes/whateverz. Covers are a great way to practice different techniques when you're new to using the computer to make music, especially if you are actually doing it by ear, but experiment more and fill out the sound more.

Also, I hope you are not really using Garageband Chip as your alias.

how does one change there cm name?

canada

you just make a new account

okay

k made nu account

Joliette, QC, Canada

hardcore, Australia

Oooh, try again.

Canada

Poor guy:(
You need to start somewhere, friend. This just happens to be yours and people here just happen to frown upon these things.

KEEP GOING. Don't stop. Ya your name might be a bit funny, but WHO SHOULD CARE? For all they know it could just be that you've created a garageband called chiptunes.

I agree with most people in saying that the learning curve is the best way to go. Learn your hardware, then slowly slowly slowly work away at it. Soon you'll develop the skills to make things sound thick.

Happy composing:)

also inb4 obligatory cm.o asshat troll

Last edited by Jansaw (Nov 16, 2012 3:29 pm)