Liverpool, UK

I couldn't provide anything in the way of coding or design, but could potentially donate/provide hosting if it was somehow needed! I'd love an LSDJ-style program for the Mega Drive!

Utah

I absolutely support this endeavor. It would be beautiful.

uhajdafdfdfa

smile this is a nice idea but i'm not holding my breath

Iowa

Nobody hasn't come up with a name for the tracker yet? I guess I could get it started by suggesting the name Super Awesome Genesis Tracker (SAGT)

Not great but something to start off with lol

Last edited by ClairBear (Nov 17, 2012 6:27 pm)

Canada

YMGenesis Tracker (YMGT)

Last edited by Jansaw (Nov 17, 2012 6:34 pm)

matt's mind

teenage mutant genesis tracker (TMGT)

sorry.  had to...

Buenos Aires, Argentina

This can be a very nice project, but do you have something coded already CountSymphony?, sorry if I sound blunt but I recommend you to start coding it rather than concentrate in a name or UI help, those are the latest details that you will affront in the edges of the project, and the first code stage will determine the next stages a lot.

You should done a very minimal app first, with a very minimal UI, maybe a YM2612 note trigger will do the job. Only to build a base where you can start.

I can help you with information regarding to Texas Instruments SN76489, YAMAHA YM2612, M68000 asm, Z80 asm and of course, with the integration of this software with a Computer program.
Only send me a PM.
Regards.

Last edited by Delek (Nov 17, 2012 7:11 pm)

New York, New York

1) How about a hybrid to allow LSDJ and Nanoloop style composition as one sees fit to their style?

2) Make it sync with GenMDM. Have the same tracker apply universally to other game soundchips?

3) PC programs do the soundtrack for game rom best so I don't think this is what native trackers are necessary for.

5) FMDJ?

Last edited by Esopus-dragon (Nov 17, 2012 7:35 pm)

Nottingham, UK
Esopus-dragon wrote:

3) PC programs do the soundtrack for game rom best so I don't think this is what native trackers are necessary for.

Live performance on actual hardware would be the shit.

New York, New York
Jansaw wrote:

YMGenesis Tracker (YMGT)

Nice. Or YMDJ.

New York, New York

@CountSymphony: Doo eet!

Milwaukee, WI

YMDJ+1.  Also, I hope I'm on the beta tester list... wink

@kitsch Wait, the same kitsch, as in Kitsch Bent? I bought an EMS Smart Card from that store just a week or two ago. Great Service, and great for LSDJ. I'll be buying a backlight soon. Happy customer smile

@ Delek Seeing as how you have an excellent tracker put out, I'll be taking your valuable feedback to help shape the style of development for this tracker. The same line of thinking tends to happen when I'm composing, I'll plan out a song idea, and I'll start writing, and the plan inevitably changes, so I have to "think like liquid" so to speak, adapting to the process. What I'm working on doing is gathering information for the overall program structure... that way I have a framework in mind before I just randomly start coding, but your idea is a sound one, and I'll probably stick to borrowing it.

I'm a Windows user by default, but I already set up Linux xubuntu on a VM, and am currently setting up the Genesis development environment on that.I'm gathering as much Sega Genesis dev information and documentation as I can get my hands on, so I can familiarize myself with the architecture and niches of the console. One guarantee... this project will take quite some time, until I can get past the intitial curve anyways. I'll PM you for assistance shortly.

To everyone else, thanks for the name and feature ideas. I'm like the YMGT and YMDJ idea. I think I'll probably take a bunch of the best ideas and have everyone vote on which name should be used. My ocd shall not be trusted to pick a name... haha. wink

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Nov 18, 2012 1:00 am)

Liverpool, UK
ClairBear wrote:

Nobody hasn't come up with a name for the tracker yet? I guess I could get it started by suggesting the name Super Awesome Genesis Tracker (SAGT)

Not great but something to start off with lol

Super Awesome Genesis (Also referred to as the Mega Drive)Tracker, or SAGAT for short. On load, a "TIGER" sample plays.

vancouver, canada

BobSagetTracker.

that is all

calmdownkidder wrote:

I couldn't provide anything in the way of coding or design, but could potentially donate/provide hosting if it was somehow needed! I'd love an LSDJ-style program for the Mega Drive!

Donations are a very kind and almost welcome gesture, however this early in the project I must refuse all donations. When we start seeing public releases, then I'll consider setting up a donation system. However I'm interested in your offer to provide hosting, could you PM me more information? Although I could technically afford to take care of hosting on my own, I want to get the ball rolling before I start paying for my own hosting.