lolusa
ant1 wrote:

have any of you ever done a chip gig in   CAFE NERVOSA?

like that exists tongue I think there's actually an Old Navy on the street they said Nervosa was. That show is so far from anything Seattle, but I still love it.

Boa constructor did a pretty great job throwing down Seattle and Olympia, I'll elaborate on the rest:
Tacoma: I'm a little biased because I practically grew up here and lived here for the majority of my life but it has some extremely redeeming qualities

• 30 minute bus ride from Seattle. You can spend a whole day in Seattle, and come back to your place in Tacoma pretty easily

• Cheap rent (much much cheaper than Seattle), houses keep getting foreclosed on/people buying them

• Great Parks, Farmers markets, really big waterfront to take ur lady out to

• Red Hot has the best hot dogs you will ever have in your miserable life. Ask for the Bianca

• Dorky's Barcade, seriously every game you could think and even more. Plus you can get really drunk there

› whats a bianca?

Not-so-great-parts:

• Pretty lame public transit. If you have a car, you'll be golden. Places are so spread out that everyone wants to be your friend if you own a car tongue

• Everyone outside of Tacoma thinks you live in a ghetto and won't come visit you.

• If you live in downtown, you live on the most giant hill I've seen my life. Good for cardio though.

• Shows usually consist of punk/metal/indie but there's some nice dj nights if you like dub/dnb/idm/general electro

@nonfinite you were talking about Everett. Personally I think that place kinda sucks, my friend got egged there when we were loading a PA into his car. It's also like THE commuter city to Seattle. So if you're planning on doing that, look forward to an hour drive being 4 or 5hr drive.

Olympia is a lot farther away from Seattle, but honestly one of my favorite places in this country. It's a kinda small town with the most liberal hippie college imaginable, so you kind of got that drum circle bullshit, but you also got really great coffee and pizza. Best house parties happen in oly #seattleburn. A lot of parks, rent is kinda hard to say about Olympia. There's always college kids looking for roomies, but an apartment shouldn't be an arm or and a leg.

Vancouver BC: is a super chill place to visit. There's been some chip activity up there, but they fucking get electronic music up there so I have no idea why no one is taking advantage of this.

I won't speak on Portland's behalf, but I will say that playing shows down there has always been a great time. A really great group of chip guys I'm always excited to hang out with.

but uhhhh ask me more questions if you got em guys, I lived all over WA my whole life so I don't know what else is important off the top of my head.

Last edited by ovenrake (Nov 21, 2012 6:15 am)

Tacoma WA

come back to tacoma you jerkface sad

vancouver, canada

just wanted to chime in about Vancouver BC with a few points:

- super easy to get to (it's 2-3 hours from Seattle, whether by car or by super-cheap bus)

- great blend of super modern architecture and outdoorsy stuff, take your pick.  at times it does feel like a futuristic cityscape.

- no real chip scene here, but there are a few chip/VGM musicians here, but there's not all that much collective desire to perform though, partly because...

- ... people here are known for being somewhat detached.  generally, people here don't engage each other nearly as much as in other cities, possibly out of an irrational fear of being assaulted or something.  i think that's the reason for what ovenrake said about EDM having fair representation in vancouver (no one will really bother you), whereas smaller eclectic/indie shows are much more on the down-low.

- you know what they say about BC marijuanally, if you're into that sort of thing (i'm personally not but, whatever floats your boat)

I personally would love it if vancouver were more integrated into the NW chipscene somehow.  i'm definitely open to doing more shows down in seattle/portland/tacoma next year!  and if you guys wanted to do a show up here, i know some folk who are willing to get some of the logistical gears rolling.

Last edited by bryface (Nov 21, 2012 8:47 am)

Last edited by Zomvor (Apr 2, 2016 2:11 pm)

Westfield, NJ
bryface wrote:

marijuanally

Seattle, WA US
bryface wrote:

just wanted to chime in about Vancouver BC with a few points:

- super easy to get to (it's 2-3 hours from Seattle, whether by car or by super-cheap bus)

- great blend of super modern architecture and outdoorsy stuff, take your pick.  at times it does feel like a futuristic cityscape.

- no real chip scene here, but there are a few chip/VGM musicians here, but there's not all that much collective desire to perform though, partly because...

- ... people here are known for being somewhat detached.  generally, people here don't engage each other nearly as much as in other cities, possibly out of an irrational fear of being assaulted or something.  i think that's the reason for what ovenrake said about EDM having fair representation in vancouver (no one will really bother you), whereas smaller eclectic/indie shows are much more on the down-low.

- you know what they say about BC marijuanally, if you're into that sort of thing (i'm personally not but, whatever floats your boat)

I personally would love it if vancouver were more integrated into the NW chipscene somehow.  i'm definitely open to doing more shows down in seattle/portland/tacoma next year!  and if you guys wanted to do a show up here, i know some folk who are willing to get some of the logistical gears rolling.

Here I am officially saying fuck yeah let's play up in Couver

Seattle, WA US
ovenrake wrote:

[*]Everyone outside of Tacoma thinks you live in a ghetto and won't come visit you.[/*]

I know this to be true

kitsch wrote:

i'm totally about to go to seattle or portland too.  somewhere in the NW.

also am looking forward to reading more comments in this thread!  everyone....  expand as much as you can.

cost of living considerations compared with elsewhere?
things to expect that may be unexpected?
i've also heard that seattle has the fastest recovering housing market in the USA, atm.  so, is rent low there now?  or, is everything still pricy?  i'm assuming homes are a bit much... hopefully average rent isn't...
are the eastern parts of these states as conservative as i've heard (compared to the coastal areas)?  (spokane has a much different rep than seattle, for example)

also, in terms of community events (i.e., free fun things to do in town)...  whats the deal like?  currently i live in a black hole, it takes money to go out and do pretty much anything.  i'd really like to avoid this and be in a place with some sense of community.

being able to go to timbers or sounders games regularly really is sort of a cool prospect...

edit -- also, re: the weather....   i've heard the winters in the NW really aren't that bad, its a more moderate winter with less frigid temps and heavy snows.  so, is this true?  or, does winter kick ass there?  (i think it was something to do with the current off the coast keeping the air a little warmer)

there is countless of fun things to do and even free stuff to do i mean just kicking it in the park on capitol hill with a gameboy and some beer , hello good times!

there is also a great shop that sells arduino in a vending machine and other awesome parts and dongles.

and rent is cheaper than buyign a hous eobviously. i was homeless chiptune musician here in seattle for a while. but hmm when i had a room
rent between 4(one not paying) people in 3 bedroom house  was 350 a month and i had shitty job at safeway deli and i payed it ,... sometimes xD

yeah we get a couple opf snow days. if you do snowsports there are mountains close by! i myself am a snowboarder and Boaconstructor is a skier so we like snow.

come to seattle pls.
and let the good tymes roll.

infact just every chiptuner come to seattle we need you!

nonfinite wrote:

I'm looking into potentially moving to the Seattle area.  Everett, maybe.  I was wondering how active the area is currently.  I know CrunchyCo was a big name n the past, not sure if they're still going as strong as they were a couple years ago.

Also, for those of you in WA or OR, I'd love to hear what you think about your respective hometowns.  I'm trying to get a more authentic feel for what the area's all about and put my utopian Tom Robbin's-fueled fantasies aside.

Anyone out there have an opinion?  Sound off, I'd love to hear some insider info!

you dont want to be in everett too far from seattle. i lived like east of everett growing up . and finally moved out(kicked out)
and went to seattle.

so much to do so little time
okay alot of time
still alot of stuff to do

so yeah crunchy co thinks they are making a rising but the owners dont care enough about the scene , yeah PG is done with chip shows.
we are looking for a home venue. maybe even trying to make our own? with some arcade cabinets and a pizza bar. how does that sound.
everyone loves pizza
i love pizza
im a ninja turtle
mhhm pizza...

GROSS ANCHOVIES???! NOOOOOO,,,,

okay back on track now.

yeah crunchy co was cool in highschool and then everyone stopped doing it big.

Mcfiredrill is working on trying to make DataFruits a label, but he has moved onto more hitek sounds , for instance im borrowing his c64 right now.. lololol DEMOSCENE SAY WHAT.
anyways all ringmods aside,
mcfiredrill aka freedrul aka miniburger master is still helping us out and loves chiptunes , so thats a label to look forward to.

as a fellow nanoloop 2 user i think it would be cool to have a nanoloop 2 netlabel !

but yeah man
move to seattle pls
so we can play phantasy star online inthe internet cafes big_smile

turtlesaur + nonfinite NL 2 live mode jam pls

my hopes are very high for the seattle chip scene as a growing and evolving thing,
but we need your help (;

Decktonic wrote:

dude I heart turtlesaur

turtlesaur heart 's you

HE LOVE ALL OF YOU

ovenrake wrote:

Olympia is a lot farther away from Seattle, but honestly one of my favorite places in this country. Best house parties happen in oly #seattleburn.

<33333333333   

Olympia definitely has love for the chip scene, there just isn't a thriving community for it here like there is in Seattle. Granted Olympia is a smaller town. There are some analog gear heads, synth people, tinkerers, electricians and beat makers (also bands. weirdos, etc.) in Olympia more so than there are strict CHIPTUNE artists. But whoever was mentioning earlier, people do really appreciate the chip SOUND around here, and how it can be incorporated into other things. which i find respectable. As an Oly correspondent for the PNW chipscene i say BIGUPS

MOVE TO THE PNW SO I CAN BECOME AN ELECTRICIAN APPRENTICE AND BE A MOD MONKEY!

turtlesaur wrote:

there is also a great shop that sells arduino in a vending machine and other awesome parts and dongles.

Dafuk??? where is this?

Last edited by deepearthvoid (Nov 22, 2012 9:31 am)

Seattle

Dude, I fucking love this city. People would probably describe me as being too proud, but I just cant help it. If you get on top of any building in Seattle and look out, you might almost think that everyone is living in tree houses. Seriously there is so much green mixed in with the city, I've never been anywhere like it, but I guess that's really not saying much seeing as how I've only traveled up and down the west coast, inland a little and to NY for blip.
<< Born and raised Seattleite.

Seattle, WA

Talk to turtlesaur he's super helpful.

Madison, WI

@Live Animals: My hometown is pretty arboreal as well.  Madison, WI is good for nature escapes and education.  It's been called the Seattle of the midwest.  Funny, eh?  Ann Arbor, MI is ridiculously green as well.  My trip to DC was in the most metropolitan area, so I can't vouch, but my friend Alex says it's one of the most arboreal cities in the country, and he spent most of his life there.

@Turtlesaur: Well, reason I was looking at Everett was my company, Frontier Communications, has a center there.  I was hoping to transfer, but it's REALLY competitive with hiring there right now on account of some downsizing.  They're hiring, but generally they offer the jobs to their own local folks first, so people working out in the field (technicians and such) will likely be moving inside.  Word is things will pick up in January, once the 4th quarter is over.

Right now, it's a toss up between PA/NY and WA/OR.  I've been to NYC a bunch of times, Philly once, loved both areas, and the chip scene there is second to none in the US, but I've dreamed of being in the Seattle area for literally...well...15 years.  I think it might be time I pay a visit and experience the area firsthand.

So, I have a week of vacation coming up.  I'm doing a show in St. Louis on the 14th, then I'm thinking about packing up my snowboard and heading west.  Maybe make a one day stop in Colorado or some other spot in the Rockies for some downhill action, then head up to WA for a few days and finally, either continue on to Canada, as I have a passport but have yet to travel outside of 'Murrica, or alternatively, head south to OR to check out the Portland area (how's it goin', Andreas?).

I know this is pretty last minute.  Anyone willing to host me for a night or two, maybe three in the Seattle or surrounding areas?  Portland?  Vancouver?  I'm willing to pay my way in the form of chip merch (or U.S. Dollars, if that's your thing...jerk).  If anybody wants to throw together a last minute show, I'm down.  I'm also an awesome cook, I'll jam with you, and I won't drink all your beer, promise.

Have Game Boy, will travel.

Rhode Island
boaconstructor wrote:

Eastern Washington is nothing like coastal Washington (I think the east would become their own state if they had the chance). Things are much more rural over there and farming/produce bring in the most money. Once you get east of the Cascades, things flatten out fairly significantly.

I can verify that. I just moved to the tri-cities and once you drive outside of the city there is nothing.

The weather is beautiful though. Summer is non-stop blue skies and sun. The winters arent harsh at all. I am used to the north east, RI, MA, CT is where i grew up. The price of living here is cheaper than the north east and the people are a hell of a lot friendlier.

lolusa

I spent my time growing up and being a preteen east of the mountains; Ellensburg specifically, and I miss it. Only town in WA where it makes sense to skate

@nonfinite: I hope your travels have been educating and at least fun smile

Last edited by ovenrake (Jan 16, 2013 5:45 pm)