Dallas

Just a small update. The dye seeped about 1/2 a mm into the silicone. I need to take a picture of this. I'll to that soon. Also after a week under 3 high power UV lamps, the dye did not fade in any noticeable way. I'd say this is a good (only?) way to change the color of silicone. I have only tested black so far though.

Last edited by Xevin (Oct 5, 2012 4:51 pm)

FUCK YOU
Boner wrote:

Did you test these in a gameboy

United Kingdom
OVERTHRUSTER wrote:
Boner wrote:

Did you test these in a gameboy

LOL

I was thinking about dying the silicon button pads that go underneath the dpad/A/B buttons. Would that work the same way?

Dallas

Here's the pictures I promised.

After a week under 3 high power UV lamps. (I forgot which side was which, but it's safe to say they are identical; NO loss of color)

The dye seeped about 1/2 mm into the silicone. The thinnest part of the silicone was black all the way through.

I haven't actually put them into a gameboy just yet, but I'm certain the color will hold permanently and not transfer to the gameboy. I rubbed on this test piece and got no dye transfer at all. I'll report back if this is not the case.

It should work fine on the other silicone pads. I started dying 3 sets of A/B and D pads. I got them both to dark grey after 3 passes. Maybe 3-4 more passes and they will be pitch black. I think it takes more passes to get them to black because they are white  to start with and not grey like the start/select buttons.

Really? My D pad is a hideous shade of green tongue

United States
Xevin wrote:

I haven't actually put them into a gameboy just yet, but I'm certain the color will hold permanently and not transfer to the gameboy. I rubbed on this test piece and got no dye transfer at all. I'll report back if this is not the case.

The issue isn't dying the silicone, if the carbon contact on the bottom of the button is damaged or destroyed in the process then it's pointless.

^^

Dallas

The contact pads didn't seem to change. Since they are already black, there was no change in color and their texture is still smooth. I will test them in a gameboy tonight and post back if there is any problems.

Dallas

Tested some dyed buttons last night in my PianoBoy. Everything functioned properly. No issues at all!

I tried rubbing one of the buttons on some paper like an eraser and the color did transfer to the paper, but it was the silicone rubbing off on the paper that made the coloration happen. Not the dye. This process for start select button dying should be safe for use in a gameboy.

matt's mind

i took your lead and tested this out on a whoooole bunch of buttons.  trying to edit photos and i'll get results posted asap.

really great work!  thanks so much for trying this out and posting your results, its interesting.

going to a hair supply store (sally's is where i went, its a chain) worked out well because i could buy the developer in bulk, and smaller quantities of the dye.  and having a bunch of spare buttons didn't hurt either...

the results were a bit strange and patternless from what i can tell.  i tried different varieties of dye, as well as different solvents. 

the picture showing it cut open is a good idea, i'll try to go back and do this and take pics.

Chicago, IL

Short-term, this will be great. It's a really good idea.

But I still wonder if long-term, the dye will permeate into the surrounding white after years of 1000's of button pressings. I dont know how synthetic pigment dyes affect silicone integrity. Since black dyes are usually multiple pigments you might also end up (long-term) with a cooler/warmer black than the original, with partial pigment loss. I do know blue pigment(ultramarine) is quite permanent compared to a lot of red pigment. I guess only time will tell though!

KC

I tried this with a couple of kitsch's clear silicone for green because I need some green ones to match the color scheme of the gameboy I am currently modding and unfortunately didn't get the results I wanted.
I used 2 different dyes and both the same, they have been soaking for about a day and both are coming out a blueish. maybe with some more time they'll get greener but I doubt it.

I will post a pic in a day or two when Im home and free.

Grymmtymm wrote:

I tried this with a couple of kitsch's clear silicone for green because I need some green ones to match the color scheme of the gameboy I am currently modding and unfortunately didn't get the results I wanted.
I used 2 different dyes and both the same, they have been soaking for about a day and both are coming out a blueish. maybe with some more time they'll get greener but I doubt it.

I will post a pic in a day or two when Im home and free.

Maybe you should try yellow + blue and see if they mix? I'm at a loss for any other suggestions.

Milwaukee, WI

Tested. Cases/buttons will not take the dye. Kitsch's S/S buttons took the black better than the original S/S buttons did.

KC

so here is the results of my attempt at green

turned out a nice semi transparent blue but far from the green that I was hoping for.

and this is what I used.

one of them I soaked in the ion color brilliance first and then when I realized it wasn't going to be green put it in the manic panic but still came out the same hue.
the other one I put in only the manic panic green but you can't even tell the difference between the two of them