Greenland

Good Day to you, ladies and gents,

since today, another one of my sav files does not work properly anymore; you can not load it with an emulator. However, on the game boy, it still works just fine. I have to access that save with an emulator, though, because I want to put in data from another broken sav, which only works (more or less) on game boys, not on emulators.

This is the theory I have: The savs break when the game boy shuts down due to low battery level, which happened yesterday. Can anyone confirm this? Also, hints on how to avoid this are appreciated. The battery LED always looks the same to me. Recharging the batteries every day seems preposterous, since they last for a week on my DMG.

Thank you for your time.
Der Direktor der Grönland Süßholzsaft Werke AG
(the manager of the Greenland Liquorice Plant Corp.)

You could install this Kit into your DMG if you can't tell by the Power LED. http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/batt_dmg
But normally you can tell if you have a backlight installed when the battery is getting weak. Just look at the LED how bright it shines, for example mine just dosn't light up at all if i play a song. That's the time when to thing about a battery change.

Greenland

Thank you. I do not have a backlight installed yet, but I already ordered the parts. I thought about the batt_dmg, but decided I would not install it just yet since I do not have much experience with soldering as of yet. Also, I thought it would not be that important.

But, is the shutdown actually the cause for the breaking of my sav files?

What kind of cartridge is it? Some carts have circuitry to protect the ram, not sure if there's anything like that in EMS carts.

Greenland
Apeshit wrote:

What kind of cartridge is it? Some carts have circuitry to protect the ram, not sure if there's anything like that in EMS carts.

It is the common EMS cartridge. Which cartridges do have this ram protection?

Last edited by Direktor (Nov 22, 2012 8:16 pm)

It has happened to me in the past, mine often corrupts the working memory if I mess with the half-clock switch too much. It's never corrupted saved memory before though, so I just make sure to save often.

Greenland
Zef wrote:

It has happened to me in the past, mine often corrupts the working memory if I mess with the half-clock switch too much. It's never corrupted saved memory before though, so I just make sure to save often.

since I definitely saved again after the shutdown, that might apply to my system as well.

Chicago IL

it's specifically a problem with shutting it off while LSDJ is playing, i think

matt's mind
Direktor wrote:

I thought about the batt_dmg, but decided I would not install it just yet since I do not have much experience with soldering as of yet.

its pretty much the easiest kit ever.  no joke.

i back up my sav files, just incase

Stockholm
Saskrotch wrote:

it's specifically a problem with shutting it off while LSDJ is playing, i think

The sad thing is that, of course, it consumes the most power while playing. So that is exactly when shutdowns due to low battery is most likely to happen.