Which sounds in songs do you like more? For me, it's a tie. I like the NES sounds because they give me more of the retro-vibe, and I like the GB sounds because they're more chippy. So... which one do you like more?

babylon

what?

NC in the US of America

I like them both. NES has a bit more dimension because it has 5 channels as opposed to four, but the Gameboy has the very versatile WAVE channel.

The Gameboy's envelopes seem to be smoother (at least when I compare Famitracker's implementation of volume enveloping vs. LSDJ's. I don't know if it's caused by the hardware or the software, though), while the NES seems to just have a smoother rounder sound overall.

Freiburg, Germany

Comparing game soundtracks of the same games on both platforms (e.g. Duck Tales) I tend to like the NES versions more. I often get the feeling, NES sounds are softer and richer (the latter probably due to the aforementioned additional channel). My personal preference for my own music is the Game Boy though, simply because it's what I grew up with and grew used to.

Unsubscribe

/bites

I found power chord distortion and detuned phasing on the pulse channels more pleasing on the NES. I like the NEs noise channel more too. I cant stand triangle bass.

TSSBAY01

i prefer the sound of the watara supervision

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I like the NES because when I put the speakers on my lap my nostalgia boner is ready.

Philadelphia, PA
herr_prof wrote:

I cant stand triangle bass.

:-o!!!!!

As a bassist, my three favorite tones of all time have generally been Geddy Lee circa 1981, anything Jaco Pastorius ever recorded, and NES triangle bass. Not kidding even slightly.

Gosford, Australia
herr_prof wrote:

I like the NEs noise channel more too.

yeah this
NES noise has this fluidity between shapes/pitches that I don't think any other chip has imo.
tri bass is ok i guess :v

Milwaukee, WI
SketchMan3 wrote:

The Gameboy's envelopes seem to be smoother (at least when I compare Famitracker's implementation of volume enveloping vs. LSDJ's. I don't know if it's caused by the hardware or the software, though), while the NES seems to just have a smoother rounder sound overall.

You're crazy man!  NES has some of the best envelopes and volume control around.  (At least on the pulse channels).

Also, NES with expansion sound dumps on anything GB.

I also like the NES arpeggios more. Yet the Game Boy has a better sounding noise/drum channel, in my opinion.

Unsubscribe
chipocrite wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

I cant stand triangle bass.

:-o!!!!!

As a bassist, my three favorite tones of all time have generally been Geddy Lee circa 1981, anything Jaco Pastorius ever recorded, and NES triangle bass. Not kidding even slightly.

I think we have a correlation here, esp re: my opinion of those two bassists wink

NC in the US of America
Theta_Frost wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

You're crazy man!  NES has some of the best envelopes and volume control around.  (At least on the pulse channels).

Also, NES with expansion sound dumps on anything GB.

I understand that it has great control, but I guess I haven't really delved into anything that makes it sound as smooth as what I've heard on the GB. I guess Protoman's whistle isn't a good example to follow...

I love the NES Triangle bass.

Chicago IL

I just use the wav channel for triangle bass. portable NES! (without the DPCM channel)

uhajdafdfdfa

here is my ranking of chiptones

{toad vst, peach vst} < {gameboy, magical 8 bit plugin vst} < {atari pokey, atari ST} < {nes, atari 2600, amiga} < {sid, mega drive, opl3, pc-engine} < {spectrum 128k, bbc micro, opl2, pc speaker} < IMPULSE TRACKER < (edit:) COMPOSER 669

Last edited by ant1 (Nov 27, 2012 3:59 pm)

Brazil

potatoes and sweet potatoes